Tuesday, December 20, 2011

DECEMBER 22, 2011 - A PAIN IN THE NECK...
























"Challenges arise to make us aware of our inner purpose." Deepak Chopra



As I sit here I am reflecting on the challenges I had to face when I was younger. I knew I always wanted to be a healer. I wanted to heal animals, but when faced with a challenge I sought to heal the human being- physically. I came to the realization that I cannot heal physically, without healing both emotionally and mentally. I had to incorporate more than one healing modality into my practice. I actually incorporate many in the care of one patient.


Only when life became sober, not only in abstinence but in honesty did I truly begin to heal myself and others. I had other challenges within myself that I had to deal with. Those were frightening at that time, and unfortunately I could have done a better job, but I learned life's lessons. Today I welcome a challenge. I love challenges in cases within the medical field. I also know I have my limitations in many of the conventional modalities. Therefore I use other modalities. Any challenge I face today further awakens and strengthens my inner purpose in life. These are the challenges I stress to younger individuals in my life whether my son, daughter, family, friends and younger patients within my practice. I always pray for challenges.


The neck is particularly vulnerable to problems which can include but are not limited to cervical osteoarthritis, cervical spondylosis, neck rigidity, locked or stiff neck and neck swelling.


I do see many older patients with degenerative arthritis of the spine especially the neck and lower back . In the younger patient I usually see a locked neck which is over strain of ligaments or muscle spasms caused by an awkward or sudden movement. It can be caused by an unusual position while sleeping





Some of us can take an aspirin, anti inflammatory, or a pain killers for the pain. Local heat does help tense muscles. If the pain is associated with nerves I usually ask the patient to drink celery juice. If I use an essential oil to be massaged into the area to ease the discomfort, I recommend rosemary.



There is one herb you may not think of using for pain as it has been associated with depression. This is St. Johns Wort . I feel this herb has been given a 'bad rap'. It has sedative and painkilling properties and can be drunk as an infusion or even applied to the area. To reduce inflammation I love ginger, white willow and vervain.



My homeopathic friends/colleagues usually recommend the fresh black root from the plant Cimicifuga racemosa. (see photo above)


Search for these remedies as a 'pill' is NOT always the answer.


Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment