Thursday, December 22, 2011

DECEMBER 23, 2011 THE STUDY OF BUTTERFLIES
















































"The quality, not the longevity, of one' s life is what is important."

Martin Luther King, Jr.


I am prepared to die. The quality of my life in the last ten years and beyond have been amazing. I may have at one time had quantity of abundance- money, clothes, and other material items

but today I have abundance of love, sincerity, friendship, support, kindness and generosity. Oh, yes I have trust.

This is what is important to me today.





A butterfly is a mainly day flying insect of the order Lepidoptera which includes butterflies and moths. How could you not love a butterfly? A butterfly represents freedom to me. I was sad when my next door neighbor collected butterflies and mounted them on cardboard by pinning their wings. I felt sad for the butterfly. Not many individuals collect moths as most moths are not as pretty as butterflies.

There are three super families of butterflies- true butterflies, skippers and the moth-butterflies. The earliest known butterfly dates back to 40-50 million years ago.

What prompted me to write about butterflies are the beautiful photos above. These are from colleague/mentor, 7song while on his herbal trip to Nicaragua The knowledge that this one man has is beyond reproach. His love for nature is exhilarating.


A great hobby is getting to know the butterflies of your area. I would not advise collecting them as some butterflies are becoming extinct. This is due to pesticides and environmental changes. There is great polymorphism among the same species, each showing differences in appearance. I am only beginning to learn about butterflies and I find them fascinating.
Remember butterflies are like honeybees--they pollinate (some moths do also)


Thanks to 7song:


Left top photograph: Banded Peacock

Right top photograph: Glass winged butterfly

Left bottom photograph: Great Spangled

Right bottom photograph: Dot-colored Skipper


Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment