Thursday, December 8, 2011

DECEMBER 9, 2011 GENEOLOGY








































"It is surmounting difficulties that make heroes." Louis Pasteur


Louis Pasteur was always a hero of mine when I studied biology. There are many more such as Einstein, Freud, Halstead et al. My father will always be a hero of mine. I might not have said this enough when he was alive. He worked hard, and always provided for his family as best as he could. I can say I never wanted for anything.


We all have had difficulties in life. Some of us more than others. I have met many heroes in my twelve step years. Many people have inspired me just by being who they are. These individuals are not famous, nor have they won any accolades. Many have touched my life in ways that cannot be described. I am a very grateful man.


Something different! When you were growing up did you get to find out about all your ancestors? Did your grandparents talk to you about their parents and their aunts and uncles?

I used to love to sit and listen to the old family stories from my Nanny. Today I can still remember many of those stories. There was one about Aunt Fanny's dog eating all the creme puffs that were brought for desert one holiday. There are so many stories I can recall from time spent with my Nanny. I wish I had tape recorded some of our talks.

In the same vain I wish I had talked to my father about his Navy days during WW II. Yesterday was 70 years since Pearl Harbor December 7, 1941. As I looked at my father's flag in my office which I received at his funeral started to miss my dad. I also have his USS Monterey cap he received during one his WWII reunions.


On AOL yesterday something intrigued me http://www.ancestry.com/ For the last two weeks there has been a free trial to access records. Last night Rick accessed the free trial to get my dad's USS Monterey records. Ancestry is a great hobby for anyone who wants to find out about their families. It was thrilling for me to view the USS Monterey Muster Rolls and see my dad's name, Patsy Fratellone! According to the muster rolls he entered the Navy in 1938 and was discharged in November 1945 at Lido Beach. The USS Monterey docked at Pier 92 NYC in November 1945


My father made friends for life in WWII. One was Joseph Maimoni from Rhode Island. Joseph Maimoni became my uncle when he married my father's sister, Mary after the war ended. Joe was the one to write to Mary and my grandparents during the war as my dad never did. Joseph and Mary married after the war. It is one of the great love stories.


Try to find out more about your parents and your ancestors. You might even make a family tree one day.



Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment