Sunday, December 4, 2011

DECEMBER 5, 2011 THE FISH DILEMMA




























"When you serve others, life serves you." - Yehuda Berg




In the last few years I have served others and life has served me a life beyond my wildest dreams. It is not perfect, but no life is perfect. No childhood is perfect either. I have the privilege of being given the opportunity to serve in a G.O.D. given profession. I help people. In return, life has helped me to better myself. I cannot help others if I do not help myself. I have to always remember that. I tend to help others so much that I sometimes forget about myself.



In my opinion in order to help others and help yourself, you must have the love, support, compassion and trust of a life-partner. The god of my understanding also bestowed this on me when I least expected it. I do love helping others achieve a better dietary lifestyle and heal themselves on the outside as well as the inside. When someone gets well or even feels better I get a warm feeling inside me.




If you want to follow a healthy lifestyle you should eat fish at least two to three times week. You will have to find out more about fish than you ever thought you would want to know. Why is this? On a daily basis I diagnose patients with acute mercury and arsenic poisoning from the fish they have ingested within the last three weeks. I also do a provocative urine test (which reflects the tissue level of the metal) on many patients. Fish contains methylmercury, other pollutants and polychlorinated biphenyls (PCB's).



Did you know that the fish in the ocean are rapidly declining? World wide over fishing and environmental pollutants are certainly to blame. Some will tell you the world is coming to an end. That this is destiny. At this point I live a day at a time and do not bother with predictions (even the Mayan calendar of 12/21/12)



It is easier to avoid the mercury from the larger fish like tuna, swordfish and shark. Yet some patients find it difficult to stay away from tuna. During my childhood years in the 1960's tuna fish was an easy lunch for mom to make along with peanut butter and jelly sandwiches. Chemicals like agricultural pesticides chlordane and DDT still exist in the environment and have polluted our streams, lakes and oceans. PCB's are another pollutant that are still with us, even though they were banned in the US in 1970. So many pollutants persist in the environment. When you eat a fatty fish like albacore tuna, herring or mackerel, you get a high level of omega 3 fatty acids but you also get PCB's and other chemicals that have built up in the fish over its lifetime. Even some of the fish oil supplements (omega 3 fatty acids) that you buy have PCB's and other chemicals.


I do not recommend farmed fish, but only wild fish, like Salmon. The incidence of serum (blood) levels of mercury are higher than you might think. Do not forget that the younger generation eats sushi as if there is not going to be any more. I have nothing against sushi (although I have never had a raw piece of fish) but when you have patients with mercury intoxication and parasitic worms, you lose the taste for raw fish sushi. I do eat wild salmon and sardines. I like salmon because it has fewer calorie dense proteins than any other protein source.



What should you do? This is the big dilemma. You could interpret the PCB and mercury scare as a large problem, a trivial problem or a farce just to get you to buy more costly fish. You have to make a choice! You can follow the food industry and ignore the PCB's. If I were you I would not ignore the PCB's nor the mercury in fish.



You need to know what fish you are eating...



Ask these questions-



1. Where the fish comes from



2. Whether it is farmed or wild



3. Where it is on the food chain



4. How much fat it contains







I personally recommend checking out Vital Choice. This website has informative articles. It lists the fish that are high in mercury. In addition I buy my salmon, sardines and even my albacore tuna from them. You will love the taste!





Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment