Friday, December 2, 2011

DECEMBER 2, 2011 MOBILE MAKING: A OLD HOBBY




























"BE comfortable with a new reaction --not reacting. And feel at peace."


I feel at peace most of the time. I used to be complacent and never spoke what I really wanted to say. I was not even reacting. I didn't want to speak for I did not want people not to like me. Today I act, not react. It has been a new way for me. Action and NOT reaction. I sometimes I fall into the react mode when I am stressed, which has been happening lately . When it starts to happen, I know something is wrong deep down inside me and I must meditate and pray more that day.



Today was a very visually stimulating day for me. It was one of the most visually stimulating days I have had in years. Due to the generosity/love and friendship of a friend, I was given a tour of the Martha Stewart Omnimedia Offices in New York City. Rick and I were in awe of the Martha Stewart production teams. It is a world I have no clue about. We were each drawn to different aspects of Martha Stewart. Rick was drawn to the food, flowers, furniture and fabrics, whereas I was drawn to the cards, scrap booking, yarns, ribbons, glitter and punch-outs. Ms. Stewart represents one of the most creative individuals of the 20th century. She persists, and survives in an ever changing world. Rick had more of an understanding of production teams as he was in the Corporate Publishing World at an earlier time in his life.

I got inspired in new hobbies I must put on my 'to do list' (like I do not have enough to do right now!) In one of the main reception areas was what I consider a large, very chic mobile hanging from the ceiling. There were shades of blue, green and I think a shade of yellow too. I was so taken back, I cannot recall at this moment.


A mobile is a hanging sculpture carefully balanced with weighted objects attached to rods. This allows various parts of the whole structure to move and spin in the breeze. In a way it is like wind chimes. Mobiles are typically hung from the ceiling. Mobiles are ever changing pieces of art. Do you remember the mobile you might have bought for your own child, or niece/nephew to hang above their crib? I started to think that I could hang any type of craft on the mobile, as long as I balance the weight. My mind started to swirl as our friend Megan showed us various departments. Mobiles of yarn, ribbon, greeting cards, Christmas bulbs and of course, needlepoint. I could make small needlepoint Christmas ornaments or crafted wood with holes for threads.

The man of mobiles was Alexander Calder. He was a gifted creative child who brought mobiles into the public vernacular in the early 1930's. Mobiles did not start out as you might know them for baby cribs, but from kinetic sculptures from Calder.



Your starting kit:

1. String

2. Needle

3. Wire

4. Sticks, dowels or a wire hanger

5. Objects to hang (photos, fabric, thread, wood, etc...)

6. Clamps, clips or glue to fasten objects to the wire

7. Wire clipper


The first step is to decide on the objects to want to hang from the mobile. This might take some time if you are creating your objects. You could use small cardboard cutouts, or buttons of different shapes, colors and sizes. You must get a wire hanger and cut it into equal shaped 'X'. Using the pliers bend each end. Tie the both wires together forming the X. From there you can begin to tie objects on and arrange, them being mindful of weight and size.

This can be a fun snow storm project for the winter. I was even thinking of doing one with puzzle pieces (especially if you have lost two or more pieces of the puzzle). Instead of throwing out the jigsaw pieces, make a mobile.

Inspiration for Today: Megan L.

Creative Inspiration: Martha Stewart and Rick Byrd

An old but goodie book on mobiles is Polly Pinder's How to Make Mobiles.

Until tomorrow...

1 comment: