Thursday, January 19, 2012

JANUARY 20, 2012 WEAVING










































"The best way out is always through." Robert Frost





Always challenge yourself to make it through the bad times. As Nietrzche said, "What doesn't kill us makes us stronger."




I didn't think that I would find another hobby within the needle crafting or wool crafting that would make me happy. So this Christmas I received a gift certificate to a Weaving Class. There is needlepoint, cross stitching, knitting quilting, sewing and even loom knitting. I do all of these as a collective hobby.


The knitting loom family is a fun project for all ages. But now there is weaving for the whole family. I thought it would be difficult to use a machine loom. I started to think about weaving when my patient Ruth, a 90 year old white female born on the same day and year as my father brought in a table loom for weaving to me as a gift (see top left picture). She showed me how to use the table loom and I worked on her project that was started more than 30 years ago.


Then the gift certificate came and I explored the weaving courses within Manhattan. I found Loop of the Loom (http://www.loopoftheloom.com/) This unique studio is the only private weaving course in NYC. It uses Saorizen techniques which create diverse and creative projects. You must check out the studio and sign up. It will be a most delightful day. Usually my hobbies are my own. I usually do not share with Rick as he has his own - floral arrangement, (recent graduate of the New York School of Floral Design) terrarium set ups, piano and photography . As much as we are co-dependent we are definitely independent. When he asked if he could join me in the Weaving Program I was thrilled and excited. We each had a unique experience. His project is now displayed on one of the apartment walls, while mine is under a unique piece of art "The Heart" from Cuba. Both can be seen in photographs above. Go to the Loop of the Loom on East 87th Street-tell them Patrick and Rick sent you.



Guess who signed up for the dates for the next class- NOT me, but Rick.


Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment