Monday, January 30, 2012

JANUARY 30, 2012 CLAVICEPS PURPUREA


































"BE content content with enough instead of grasping for more."


"What part of NO didn't you understand."




I am content with what I have in life. I am not talking about the materialistic items, but rather the emotional, physical, and mental aspects. Of course, there was a time I wanted more and more - who doesn't want more! Today I am content. I need not grasp for anything except a more constant with the G.O.D. of my understanding.



"NO" is a complete sentence. There are many individuals who cannot say no. I was one of those individuals. I always said YES to everything. Today, I know to say NO to protect myself. I also have to help myself as I help others. Try to say NO especially if you have already carved the time out for yourself.



Ergot is a fungus that is parasitic on cereal grains, especially rye. The special aspect of this fungus is that it has medicinal properties . Ergot contains many alkaloid substances which have been known to promote contractions in the smooth muscle. Ergot has a historical significance. In the past, if rye bread with the fungus was ingested, this resulted in a poisoning known as Ergotism. This was also known as St. Anthony's Fire. The victims had systemic convulsions and burning pains in both of their limbs. This is depicted in many historical medical texts as well as literature. In 1834 Fuchs found early references to ergotism in Annales Xantenses for the year 857 stating "a great plague of swollen blisters consumed the people by a loathsome rot (gangrene) so that their limbs were loosened and fell off."


Ergot is used in the obstetrical practice. It was initially used in China which quickly spread throughout Europe. Ergot is a hemostatic. Ergonovine is administered in post partum hemorrhage. Ergotamine is also administered with caffeine and used for treatment of migraines.

Bottom Photograph: This was a needlepoint pillow I made for my son when he went to college. It now sits on his bed in his Boston Apartment. Both my children always appreciate the pillows I have made them through the years.



Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment