Saturday, January 21, 2012

JANUARY 23, 2012 WHAT OUR PETS TEACH US

















































" Our task must be to free ourselves... by widening our circle of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature and its beauty ." - albert einstein


Every morning while on my way to work I am reminded of this quote. I pass You Gotta Have It on East 57th street with a painting of Albert Einstein in the window. One day I would like to own that portrait , not because of its beauty but because of the many life quotes Mr. Einstein has given the world. Truly a genius.


I have been a pet owner since I was 11 years old. My first dog, Jacques was bought with my first holy communion money . Jacques lived a really long time. I would bet that I did my Holy Communion when I was nine. I know for the fact that Jacques lived two years after my mom died in 1982. Therefore Jacques lived from 1969-1984. I always acquired pets-snakes, stray cats, lizards, birds, and even insects. My cousin, Dr, Jim brought a Mynah Bird for a gift one year . I named him Charlie. I even had a turtle go to an upstate University as my Aunt Mary facilitated that.



A pet has to become part of your life. They teach us true unconditional love. This love is not conditional upon materialistic items. Your pet will always be there to greet you no matter how rough your life may be.



I found having a pet at a young age I was taught responsibility. If are thinking about getting a pet for your family, you should not be the one responsible for always walking it. Your son or daughter wanted a pet. This is a big responsibility. Children will quickly find out that having a pet is a huge responsibility. The third lesson is compassion. There are movies and books about pets and their owners. Rick and I have lost two dogs in our lives together. We lost a white Maltese named Cary ( Grant, his twin is above) and the old soul Yorkshire terrier, Jack only recently Both dogs died at home and we did have to use euthanasia. We both agreed if it got really bad and he was suffering we would have done euthanasia. Each died very peaceful in our home. Although I have focused on dogs -- all pets teach us unconditional love, responsibility and compassion. Your pet might be a feline cat, a turtle or even a bird. I have an affinity to birds and always have. We have a Green Amazon Parrot named Gracie. Although Gracie has a small brain her capacity for human like behavior is amazing. She loves to talk, imitate and sing. Yes, at 6am when the sun rises is a problem when she squawks, but she is my Gracie. Gracie and I are alike. We are both living creatures. Regardless if my brain is larger than hers, we both have emotions.



Remember that all animals have emotions


From your pets learn this : 1. sleep more, 2. play and have more fun 3. eat properly 4. drink enough water. These are just a few tips.




St Francis of Assisi surrounded by all animals said this " If you have men who will exclude God's creatures from the shelter of compassion and pity, you will have men who will deal likewise with their fellow men. "



Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment