Sunday, January 22, 2012

JANUARY 21-22, 2012 LIFE UPON LIFE'S TERMS









































"Passion is the element in which we live; without it, we hardly vegetate."Lord Byron









What does this mean? Everything sounded fine until 'we hardly vegetate'. Possibly it means we should focus on the passion of life instead of the stresses of day to day living. We should focus on the inner self instead of always looking at the outside of ourselves--our personal weight and how we look. I feel it is important to focus on the inner self. Years ago, I focused on the materialistic aspects of life: how I looked, what I wore and which designer I was wearing that day. There was one aspect I did change.It was my mouth. I took care of my dental health. I never focused on my weight as I never had a weight issue.





As the New Year has already begun where are you? Did you start those silly New Year's Resolutions? If not or if you already failed do not worry. Noting you do is a mistake-it is a learning experience. You can always start your day over right from NOW.









It is safe to say that we all suffer from stress. If you think you do not suffer from stress of some kind then look again. Is it short or long term stress is the question. Short term stress is stress that allows your body to recover the next day. Chronic stress caused by many issues as chronic disease stays with you day after day. This kind of stress is more important as it has a negative impact on your health.




Chronic stress affects your immune system, heart, brain, mental outlook and digestion. Sure it also affects how we sleep, and how we feel when we wake up. Do you wake up tired every morning and drag yourself out of bed? Or do you wake up with energy? Those who wake up tired and get better through the day and then peak at 7pm and cannot go to sleep at normal hours have a condition called Adrenal Fatigue. I believe we all have some aspect of adrenal fatigue. I certainly do and it was worse years ago. I could literally stay up till 2 or 3 am and get up at 6am. I cannot do this anymore. I work hard and I need to sleep hard (not play hard) in order to rejuvenate my body's cells.









I attribute this to using a group of herbs called adaptogens. David Winston RH wrote a great book called Adaptogens I suggest reading it. Adaptogens are non specific herbs that increase the whole resistance of the body. The best known adaptogens are the ginsengs- Panax (American and Asian). I use Eleutherococcus (Siberian Ginseng). But the adaptogens I use the most is Withania (Ashwaganda) and Centella (Gota kola). There are many others you can read about including holy basil, rhodiola, schisandra and reishi.




As an herbalist I look at many compounds. Some I use together by mixing them as a tea for the patient. Sometimes I use as single agents, either by products from Herbal Vitality, Chemist and Alchemist, Gaya, and HerbPharm. I always pick as a tincture so it is easily absorbed by the body. Some herbalists use schisandrea berry and reishi as these are used in Traditional Chinese Medicine. I often pick by my intuition sitting with the patient. It works for me. Lately I have been using Snow Lotus Essential Oils to help ny patient, along with herbs. There is a great Snow Lotus product called Stress Relief. I love essential oils.




For sure- I love anything derived from plants!







Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment