Wednesday, January 4, 2012

JANUARY 5, 2012 EYE STYE











"STOP RESISTING WHAT IS. EITHER CHANGE IT OR FIND A WAY TO MOVE WITH THE FLOW." - Oprah Winfrey



My father's version would be, "SH*t or get off the pot." Not exactly elegant, but to the point. As my G.O.D given profession allows me I sit and listen to patients. I listen attentively before making any comments. I feel some patients are straddled across a stream with one foot on each bank not knowing what to do. You can straddle only for so much time and then a decision must be made. Jump in the water and take a chance. Life is a chance. If you never take a chance in life you will never know what lies ahead. I have taken chances in life. I decided at a much later age to do another medicine fellowship. This one in Arizona with Dr. Andrew Weil. It was a challenge as it occurred near an operation , but I continued to finish that goal. There are goals in life which we ponder. Should I start my own business? Do I do a start-up? Can I manage alone?

Take the chance !

Yesterday I saw a patient with a stye. A stye is an abscess occurring around the root of an eyelash. It is an infection usually caused by a staphylococcal species. You will see a characteristic small head of yellow pus. They usually last about 7 days and usually require no intervention. However I have seen a stye spread to other hair follicles. Do not "POP" the pimple as you might pop other acne pimples. For one, it hurts and secondly you probably will spread infection.


There is a simple treatment for my patient with the stye. An old folklore remedy is a warm bread poultice applied directly to the stye. I am not fond of a 'bread ball' on an eye.


Since styes are usually present when the immune system is low I might start some astrgalus tincture as well as echinacea. These both will boost the immune system. A great remedy is a tea bag (made by yourself with linen tea bags) filled with chamomille and calendula (pot marigold) Both of these herbs are soothing and stop the swelling.


There is an essential oil remedy of one drop of lavender on a cotton swab to dab the base of the follicle. I wouldn't do this by yourself.


Until tomorrow...






























No comments:

Post a Comment