Tuesday, January 3, 2012

JANUARY 4, 2012 THE CARING BRUISE










" CARE ABOUT WHAT OTHER PEOPLE THINK AND YOU WILL BE THEIR PRISONER."

--Lao Tzu

I used to care what people thought of me. I used to "buy" people/friends and partners. Today I do neither. I have learned that I respect myself too much to care what other people think of me. It also helps to have a loving, supporting and caring partner in life. I am a healer to the best of my ability. We all have baggage. Some more than others. I used to have baggage, but I have cleaned my closet. How do you clean your closet? You begin by writing lists of those acquaintances, friends, and those who think they are your friend. People come in and go out of your life. Cleaning the closet is synonymous to cleaning house. I will not be a prisoner of anyone any longer. I am me. Respect yourself.

Did you ever hit yourself against a table and develop a bruise? I know I have at one time in my life. Bruising or ecchymosis results from release of blood from the capillaries to under the skin. This characteristic bruise is bluish black which eventually fades to a yellowish tinge and then eventually all the blood is absorbed. For some, this bruising might occur for other reasons other than just bumping into an object. Bruising can be spontaneous, can be the result of an allergic reaction or more seriously be the first sign of an underlying blood disorder such as a leukemia.



If bruising occurs without any obvious cause, it requires immediate medical attention and investigation. It could be the first sign of an underlying serious condition.


Today most people know of Arnica (Arnica montana) which can be applied to a bruise. Other less common names for this herb are leopard's bane or mountain tobacco. The whole fresh plant is used when in flower. Externally used for sprains, and bruises, but I have seen it written to be used internally for systemic shock of the body. I feel arnica should be in every first aid kit.


Now if you listened to your Nanny ( your grandmother) as I did you will have learned some old folklore medicines that are still used today. First, my Nanny believed that cabbage leaves could heal anything. Either the leaves were cut into tiny pieces and applied or heated first before application. I recently used a cabbage leaf to draw out pus from a boil on a patient's thigh.

A black pepper (Piper negrum ) oil or mustard (Braccia nigra) poultice can draw blood away from a bruise. One of the best remedies came out of a book in the 1970's called The Vinegar Book My grandmother ordered it and brought home copies from the local market, Food Fair. The vinegar compress was used for bruises, arthritis and 'old maid's knee'. My Nanny had everyone using vinegar for every ache and pain. A cool compress of witch hazel or wintergreen was always applied in my house to a sore back.


The one herb that I love for healing that I learned in these years is Comfrey ( Symphytum officinale) There is much written about comfrey. I have learned most about comfrey from reading Matthew Wood's description in The Earthwise Herbal: Guide to Old World Medicinal Plants. This weekend I was pleased to see a copy of his books in NYC's herbal store called Flower Power on East 9th Street ( off 1st Avenue) If you have never been to Flower Power, it deserves a visit and a 'buy' of your favorite organic tea.


The one trace mineral that is often overlooked for bruising is Zinc. Zinc restores capillary fragility. I always include serum (blood) testing for zinc copper and selenium.

Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment