Wednesday, April 11, 2012

APRIL 11, 2012 COFFEE IS GOOD FOR YOU AND OTHER FACTS































"Our happiness and our well being are in our own hands."




I have come to believe that despite the fact that I am in the health profession, my own health and the health of family and friends is in their hands. I guide them, but I cannot force anyone to do anything.


We all control our own destiny. Happiness must come from within. It is not the material aspects like clothes, jewelry, or summer homes that will make someone happy. I do not even think those material items will help. You need to be happy from the inside out.





Food is supposed to be one of our lifetime pleasures, but how can it be when every day there is a new report on how harmful certain foods are. If you watched 60 Minutes two weeks ago, you know that the AMERICAN DIET IS LOADED WITH HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP, causing both twin epidemics- obesity and diabetes. These two epidemics lead to cardiovascular diseases. I read every day. I always read a variety of topics from herbs, insects, biographies, and of course medicine. I needed an easy book to read while traveling last weekend. I picked what I felt was an easy to read guide on what's true and not true regarding hot health topics.


The book was

Coffee is Good for You: From Vitamin C and Organic Foods to Low Carb and Detoix diets, the truth about Diets and Nutrition Claims




This is what I needed. In my lifetime I had the pleasure to work side by side with diet guru the late Robert Atkins, MD. I am always interested in any book that discuss the low carbohydrate lifestyle. In my opinion Dr. Atkins was the forerunner on the low carbohydrate lifestyle. All low carbohydrates today are derived from his initial 1974 book. So I do not agree on the high fat in his program, but no one ever said you had to in total agreement to work with someone.



The author, Robert Davis has written a book with facts that is also humorous. Have you ever counted how many diet books there are on the market? There are hundreds and hundreds. I haven't written one yet, but I think I shall in the future. Even The God-Makers Diet reached publication. You get to read amazing diet claims. I liked the book as it goes beyond all the HYPE and all the corporate agendas. I do not like when books blame the government or pharmaceutical industries for our health crisis. We all know this is the truth but how many times do we need to repeat what we all already know? The government, insurance plans and the pharmaceutical companies are dictating how to practice medicine despite the fact that I went to medical school and have completed internships and fellowships for 16 years. Such is life today... Do not cry or pout, get involved...


This book is not only interesting for a person who cares about nutrition and health, but for just about anyone who is tired of what the media is saying or not saying. Let's face it- coffee was once considered bad, but now there are reports that 6 - 60z of black coffee prevents Alzheimer's Disease. There are newer reports on its cardiovascular benefits . The same can be said of dark chocolate.



I am afraid to leave my copy on my desk as one of my more avid reader patients might snatch it up, so I leave it in the drawer



Get a copy of this book and enjoy it!


Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment