Sunday, April 22, 2012

APRIL 22, 2012 VANISHING OF THE BEES







"LOVE is life. And if you miss love, you miss life." - leo buscaglia

The two words should go together. I have both love and life. I have been fortunate and I am a very grateful man. I have nothing missing. I appreciate everything I have. When the chips are down as sometimes they can be, I always find a way to smile. Things will get better- maybe not on my time, but for TODAY that is fine. It is only for today. I am struggling right now to keep all in order. I have a responsibility to do that for my patients, but I must remember that is only one hand. I have another hand to help myself in any way I can. For my hand, I am being extra careful now. I have lots on my plate. Am I unique? NO. Do doctors not have a lot on their plates? NO. Are doctors human? We hope, a loud YES.

This year we lost our girls. It has been sad. We haven't gone out to Fire Island yet, but we had a friend Todd, check out the hives. Unfortunately this happens once in a while. It was not due to varroa mites. I belive our loss was due to the warm days in February and March, which brought the girls out when there were no flowers available. We do not think the girls starved to death as we left them plenty of food. We will try again. We also will be setting up hives as some of the New York City schools. We have donated the materials and the bees. We will start soon. This year we have a little glitch in starting which needs to be taken cared of, but we know G.O.D. will guide us through this process.

Honeybees are responsible for one-third of our food supply, yet they are disappearing at a startling rate in a phenomenon known as Colony Collapse Disorder, or CCD

The documentary “Vanishing of the Bees” takes a piercing investigative look at the economic, political and ecological implications of the worldwide disappearance of the honeybee. It is viewable here FREE, for a limited time The Tragic Mistake That Now Threatens 1 Out of Every 3 Bites You Eat 

CCD is most likely the result of a constellation of factors, one of the largest being the growing contamination of their hives with pesticides, especially the newer systemic pesticides, or neonicotinoids

Bees appear to be suffering catastrophic effects after exposure to even low levels of certain pesticides, including inability to fight off infections, nervous system damage, disorientation and impaired navigation.

Bees are increasingly being raised “factory farm” style with artificial food, artificial insemination, and grossly unnatural hive conditions that further stress the colony, highlighting an urgent need to return to more natural beekeeping traditions.

Read about bees. There are many great books. Join a Bee Society like the NYC Bee Association or http://www.honeybeelives.org/ . Get involved. Do something important for the environemnt and if you cannot do, you can always contribute donations.

Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment