Thursday, April 12, 2012

APRIL 12, 2012 FISH OILS: GOOD OR BAD?































"We gain strength, and courage and confidence by each experience in which we really stop to look fear in the face...we must do that which we think we cannot." - Eleanor Roosevelt







In my Mom's memory box (created by my Uncle Sonny from an old printers box) was a cubicle that held a stamp of Eleanor Roosevelt. I have always loved biographies, and had ready many of this First Lady. She had strength and courage through her career. On my home island, also known as Blackwell Island, or Roosevelt Island there is now the Franklin Delano Roosevelt Memorial park at the southern most tip of the island.



The experiences in my life have allowed me to gain strength and courage which eventually led to confidence. It also has led me to truly look into the faces of friends, family and acquaintances. I look deep into their eyes. I sometimes see the truth and many times I do not. It is also curious that when there are unfortunate circumstances in anyone's life there is often an absence of those once considered friends. Where do they go? Into hiding? Or can he/she just not handle others difficulties? Possibly everyone does not have the strength through life experiences. Life is strange- but prayer, meditation and love will always prevail and guide me. I graciously thank my Red Star guides.



Take omega 3 fatty acid supplements! Do not take omega 3 supplements! Last week researchers at national Cancer Center of the Republic of Korea published a report stating that fish oil supplements ARE NOT EFFECTIVE against cardiovascular disease. There were 20,000 patients studied with a history of CV disease. Study follow-up was 1 to 5 years. The research team looked to see if these supplements made a difference in sudden death, heart attacks, strokes, congestive heart failure or death from any cause . This published study stated there was no difference. The study did advocate eating sardines, tuna and mackerel. When I saw tuna I nearly fainted. Someone is advocating tuna-- the fish with the largest amounts of mercury. What is happening to our world?


It was a large study group but the results showed no benefit. There were two other large studies done showing that fish oil supplements DID MAKE a difference. I didn't see the amount of fish oil supplements (amount of mg) used in this study. I use anywhere from 4 - 6,000 mg of omega 3.

The study would have been better if we knew the amount or if the fish oil supplement was provided by a pharmaceutical company. For example if Lovasa was used would there be a better result. And if we used Nordic Natural or life Extension would the study show no benefit.

As a cardiologist I find it disheartening when the president of the AHA states he was not surprised by the study. He should be surprised since two other large studies showed benefit. He and the AHA should be spending dollars on prevention of heart disease in this country. The AHA should study globe artichoke, green tea, hibiscus and other botanical for prevention of heart disease. I wonder how many AHA members watched 60 Minutes last weekend on fructose corn syrup?

Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment