Wednesday, April 18, 2012

APRIL 18, 2012 THE HAPPINESS DIET
















"We all are travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we can find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson







"A true friend is one who overlooks your failures and tolerates your success." - Doug Larson




Perhaps the unknown has written this:


"The best kind of friend is the one you sit on a porch swing with, never saying a word, and walk away feeling like that was the best conversation you've ever had."



The last quote was written after thinking about Monday evening. My bestest friend, Rick and I were sitting on the terrace after a home- cooked meal, then sitting together gazing at the stars and the New York skyline. We didn't speak-- just sat. It was a great conversation.






As I get older I reflect back on friendships. Some were in actuality just acquaintances. Some that still exist today are true life long friendships. Then there are some that I must still think about. As I get older, I am less tolerant of 'little white lies' and misconceptions or my perception of the problem. I do not like when someone says one thing and does another. I begin to ponder...so what do I do? I meditate and pray. I do not focus on these things as they can become an 'energy thief' and become another committee in my brain. I have very few committees in my brain these days.






Do we really need another diet book? There are more than 200 diets on the market . The new book is called The Happiness Diet: A Nutritional Prescription for a Sharper Brain, Balanced Mind, and Lean Energized Body. It is all about processed foods and why these are bad for you. I think it is great to remind the population again, but why in a book? If you do not know about the problems with eating processed foods at this time, then you need to consider stopping them now. Processed foods contain trans fats and other chemicals which are associated with various diseases.


The book also emphasizes the importance of animal fats. This is a very controversial topic. This is why I feel no diet can be learned from a book. Certain blood testing especially IgG RAST food allergy testing needs to be done.


The best chapter of the book was the one about reading a food label. I find this is not mentioned enough and I appreciate Dr Ramsey spending time on this topic. Every good book has a chapter on menus and recipes. This book is no exception to that great rule either.


I love the medical history of any topic. Dr Ramsey has great historical facts which make this book unique. I love the history of herbs from Biblical times to present. I idealize the works of Culpepper and Sauer (two great herbalists).



Some of the books that discuss medical history of a disease are:


1. The Great Influenza by John Barry


2. The American Plague - Molly Caldwell Crosby


3. Polio: The American Story


4. Splendid SOLUTION: Jonas Salk and the Conquest of Polio


5. The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot


6. The Disappearing Spoon - by Sam Kean (currently reading - will review shortly)




I recommend one of these for a great summer read




Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment