Friday, April 20, 2012

APRIL 20, 2012 NEEDLEWORK





































"Acceptance of what is... will open our minds and our hearts to the best road to travel."


Thanks Karen. I needed to hear this today. I have learned through these sober years to accept what is. This always allows me to make the best decision. Today my decision making is discussed and communicated with another individual. This is what relationships/marriages/partnerships are all about. It is the open line of communication.

Sometimes we do not like what is happening to us as individuals. This could involve a personal illness, job anxiety or a family member. Remember you do NOT control the situation. As a physician, I do not have control over illness in my patients, nor loved ones. For today I am opening my mind and heart to accept what is...knowing that all will be well. I, no WE are taking the best road traveled. This is a journey no one wishes to take, but it is with my G.O.D. (good orderly direction).

Remember we all one day will take a road we wish we did not have to. Remember you are never walking alone.


Needlework is one of mankind’s oldest art forms. It dates back to Exodus in the Bible. Stitch work has been found in the tombs of Egypt dating back to the 15th century. It came into its own art form in the 12th century in China. Due to technological advances and machinery, it suffered as an art form. It was not until the early 19th century that needle work had its revival.


About four years ago, I realized I needed to find a hobby to idle my tension. I was in Florida walking on Los Olas Boulevard when I passed a store that had needlepoint designs in the window. I decided right then to start needle pointing. I went in the store and asked Joan, ( http://www.needlepointoriginals.com/) who paints her own designs to quickly show me a stitch. I easily remembered from watching countless hours of my mother and grandmother stitching while sitting in the living room. I bought my first needlepoint, an Orchid Floral . In addition to reading medical journals I began to read books on stitching. It was not until this year that my partner, Rick thought I should write a book on needlepoint.


I find needlepoint to be one of the most rewarding hobbies you will ever undertake. Not only does it fill the hours and relax you, but it also provides you with a finished product in which you can feel a sense of pride and accomplishment. It also makes excellent birthday and holiday gifts for loved ones.


Needlepoint as most hobbies, can be either simple or difficult. This depends of the individual. I have met some people who always use the basic and easiest stitches. For these people I feel they use needlepoint as a restful pastime to create gifts for people. There are others that use needlework as a way to express their creative outlet. These crafters delight in working with complicated patterns using a variety of threads. Some compose their own designs. I am a needle worker who is all of the above. Therapeutic though it may be, needle point for me is above all an artistic activity.


Another fallacy is the fact that needle work is not an exclusively a female hobby. I am sure we all remember when Hall of Fame Football player, Rosie Greer started knitting as a hobby. On a recent cruise last year, I pulled my canvas from my bag and started to stitch while sitting on a deck chair. When I looked up I saw two women also stitching, one doing needlepoint and the other cross stitching. As we worked our needles, we talked about stitching and enjoyed the warm sun and cool breeze. We later met during the week to share our collection we each brought with us. One woman told me that stitching is a popular hobby among men whom spend a great deal of time at sea. In the previous two years I had met many business executives who found that stitching helps them unwind after a stressful and tense day at the office. Perhaps my most exciting discovery to my wallet is that needlepoint can be an expensive hobby. It doesn’t have to be an expensive hobby and you don’t have to buy canvases that are one hundred dollars. You can make equally lovely pieces for just a few dollars. You just have to buy the blank canvases and use a pattern from a book or needlepoint magazines .

Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment