Monday, April 23, 2012

APRIL 23, 2012 EARTH DAY




"Life without love is like a tree without a blossom or fruit." - kahlil gibran


Life, love and plants all should be together. If you want to be in love start living life. Start by noticing the plants in your area. Be aware of nature. Get down with nature.
Hug a tree.



Yesterday was Earth Day. I discussed Honeybees which are very important to Earth Mother. Earth Day is celebrated around the world on April 22. Some cities start celebrating a week in advance, ending the recognition of Earth Week on April 22nd. Others host month long events to stress the importance of teaching about our environment. The United Nations celebrates Earth Day each year on the March equinox, which is often March 20, a tradition which was founded by peace activist John McConnell in 1969.
I want you to do something to save the environment. I am a UpS member. No I am not a member of the United Postal Service. Rick and I are members of the United Plant Savers (http://www..unitedplantsavers.org/)  I suggest you go to their website and read about Botanical Wonders. I have reprinted some of it below about Slippery Elm. There is a great article on the Goldenseal Sanctuary.
I want you to join.
This is something I like to read alone in a quiet setting. It was said in 1998 at the initiation ceremony for the Godlenseal Sanctuary by Chief Soft Shell Turle Netz.

I am Red Star (my given American Indian name) and repeat this phrase alone

"Creator placed the Plant and Tree people here to be used and medicines for the people. I pray that this site be used in a respectful way as a tool to the better understanding of the medicine ways of my ancestors. Please bring peace and balance between the colors of the world through education at this site."

Plant your own garden . Say the above prayer out loud.




The slippery elm rests on the soft forest floor. The downed tree is settling into the rich soil from which it began life many years ago as a sapling. Herbalist Paul Strauss gently places his hand on the trunk, pauses, and turns to a small group walking through the southeastern Ohio woods. “When a tree has given itself for you, you accept it and use it for medicine,” says Strauss, also a conservationist and organic farmer. “But we would never take this tree down ourselves.” Strauss fishes into his pants pocket for a small jackknife, and with the skill of someone who has skimmed bark many times before, removes the legendary tree’s outer layer. Under the dark rough skin lies a pure cream-colored wood, smooth and cool. He passes out small strips and invites others to taste the sweet-flavored gift that smells of good earth. A fine coat of gel covers the trunk where the bark is removed, giving the tree its name. Herbal medicine made from the tree is used as a diuretic, emollient, expectorant, laxative and more. Slippery elm (Ulmus fulva) is just one of more than 600 kinds of medicinal plants growing in the Goldenseal Sanctuary in Rutland Township. The 378-acre sanctuary is affiliated with the nonprofit United Plant Savers (UPS), an organization based in Vermont and founded in 1995. Its mission is to protect at-risk native medicinal plants in the United States and Canada in their natural habitats. The group also encourages cultivation and responsible wild-harvesting so future generations can benefit from nature’s drug store.

Personally I use lots of slippery elm for patients with IBS, colitis or Crohn's . I usually do not use it alone but with Meadowsweet, Chamomile and even Marshmellow. This is a botanical that must live on for the purpose of saving lives.

Until tomorrow...

1 comment:

  1. Hi Dr. F. Hope all is well. I really enjoy reading your blog every day.
    My Grandma asked me to pass on this note from her to you. If you could help that would be amazing. My grandparents travel the world - just last year they went to Egypt - both after having hip surgeries! They are hoping to travel to China, but need to improve my Grandma's health. She is willing to fight for it - but needs some help! Thank you,
    Stephanie Huston

    Dear Dr:
    The best I can describe my problem is when i stand i get a lightheaded -dizziness sensation. when i am seated or lay down i have no problem. several years ago i had a shunt put in to help my balance. i have tried various excercises given to me by several doctors and tried 12 times physical therapy at another time, none helped me. my ear doctor says my ears are not the problem. do you have any ideas or can recommend a doctor in the northern new jersey area or new york city area. I am 82 years old have had this problem for about 4 years now.
    Thank you,
    Beverly Huston

    ReplyDelete