Tuesday, April 3, 2012

APRIL 4, 2012 BARBAT SKULLCAP































"Our business in life is NOT to get ahead of others, but to get ahead of OURSELVES--To break our own records, to outstrip our yesterday by our today " - Stewart Johnson





I would rather be in competition with my own self than anyone else. I am not a competitive individual unless it comes to the board game Trivial Pursuit. I never like to lose in Trivial Pursuit. I constantly challenge myself. I feel this is a healthy way for me to stay informed. I always want to be better than the day before. This includes my daily meditative practice, my dietary lifestyle, my hobbies, and any ammends I need to make to anyone.





A perennial herb from Korea and southern China is now being studied for breast cancer. The incidence of breast cancer here is over 200,000 women diagnosed annually. It is the second highest cause of death for women. Current treatments do include surgery, chemotherapy and radiation-- not without side effects. There is no effective treatment for advanced breast cancer.
There is a trial (unfortunately not recruiting any longer) for the use of the herb Scutellaria barbata in metastatic breast cancer. The clinical trial is called Bezielle (BZL101) Clinical trial.
In vitro studies have studied its other properties including anti bacterial and anti mutagenic properties.


Its purported uses have been for bacterial infections, hepatitis, hepatocellular carcinoma and now breast cancer. The clinical trial involved 9 centers, two of them in NYC. Bionovo Inc completed the preliminary trail which lead to these 9 centers conducting the Bezielle (BZL 101).
I feel it is important for trials of botanicals to be done for many treatments including cancer.

For example, hormone modulating herbals for prostate cancer include Saw palmetto (Serenoa repens), Pygeum bark (Prunus africanum), Stinging Nettles (Urtica dioica) and Chaste tree berry (Vitex agnus castus).




The perwinkle plant (Vinca ssp) has provided many alkaloids used in conventional oncology such as vinblastine and vincristine.




Since the cancer problem is far from over, we must look at the botanical world for the answers.




If we do not we are missing out on an opportunity to help the world.




Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment