Tuesday, July 10, 2012

JULY 10, 2012 SEX AND TONGKAT ALI







“Good sex is like good bridge. If you don't have a good partner, you'd better have a good hand.”
        -Mae West

“We waste time looking for the perfect lover, instead of creating the perfect love.” - Tom Robbins

“We are all born sexual creatures,thank God, but it's a pity so many people despise and crush this natural gift.”    -Marilyn Monroe
      
Sex is a bit overdone--don't you think ? NOT. Studies have shown that married couples who engage in active sex live a longer life. Studies have been done on single individuals with active sex lives versus those with no active sex lives. I have been reading Christopher Street: Reflections of  New York City. It is twenty-six original essays by lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgendered writers include personal stories that span forty years of LGBT life in the Bronx, Brooklyn, Manhattan, Queens, and Staten Island, and together create a gay love letter to New York City. Chapters in this volume range from personal anecdote to memoir, reportage, history and daydream, as well as tributes to people, places, and events. It brought me back to my first visit to Christopher Street in 1976, and then again in 1978. My 1978-1979 experience was more memorable as I had just finished Andrew Holleran's  Dancer of the Dance.  My only reference of 'gay' places was from reading books. I did have one personal reference, my second cousin, Anthony. He was an artist for children's books. During my college years, I became familiar with all of the West Village, as well as Long Island 'spots' Anthony introduced me to Fire Island in 1977. I cannot even describe the feeling getting off the ferry in The Pines in 1977. It was elation and fear. It was magical and scary. I met many people through various introductions. Unfortunately Anthony died in 1983.By the time I returned from medical school most of my Village/Fire Island friends were no longer alive. Death certificates read G.R.I.D.S ( gay related immune deficiency syndrome) The AIDS epidemic took many lives.. It would 19 years before I would return to Fire Island. 





Tongkat Ali is a tree native to the jungles of Malaysia, Thailand, and Indonesia. It is commonly known as tongkat ali in Malaysia and Singapore, Tung Saw in Thailand, and Pasak Bumi in Indonesia. Natives consider every part of the tree as medicine. The root has been used as traditional medicine and promoted as a tonic, energy enhancer, and as an aphrodisiac. There is a great deal of misinformation on the Internet regarding the ideal dosage of this root and its extracts

Tongkat Ali ( Euurycoma longifolia Jack) is also called Longjack. In Malaysia it has been used for years to increase libido ( sexual energy)  and to treat erectile dysfunction. 

How does it do this? Tongkat appears to work by increasing testosterone levels. Many men want to use testosterone topically or by injection. Both will work, but testosterone levels must be monitored. Also you should realize that testosterone has been abused in certain populations so every state has different regulations on testosterone prescriptions. Before I prescribe testosterone I measure the amount of estrogen, progesterone and LH in the male patient. As men ago we increase the activity of aromatase enzyme. This enzyme allows the conversion of testosterone to the female hormones to occur quickly. Sometimes I will prescribe a natural aromatase inhibitor as chrysin or quercitin.

Normal healthy testosterone levels maintain a better energy level, better mood, and increased sex drive and libido.

The side effects Tongkat can include insomnia, anxiety and restlessness. I have seen this root decrease sugar levels. You must be cautious if the patient is taking any diabetic agent to lower his blood sugar. I would not use Tongkat on any patient with diabetes, prostate Ca or breast cancer. Since a low testosterone is a risk factor for heart disease, it is controversial if Tongkat should be used in men with heart disease.

It is not an easy root to dig up. It cannot be harvested in its country of origin, Malaysia as it is protected. In  Indonesia it can be harvested and the only place where it grows wild and can be used.

Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment