Monday, July 16, 2012

JULY 16, 2012 HERBAL SALVES






' What we have once enjoyed we can never lose. All that we love deeply becomes part of us."
                                                                                                                           -Helen Keller

" The mystery of love is greater than the mystery of death. "

" What the heart has once known, it shall never forget"


Love is forever. Love has no boundaries. Love exists between man and man, man and woman, woman and woman, mother and child, man and nature, man and pet et al. It is endless. Love has no race, religion or politics. My needlecraftt hobby might be tiresome and boring to others, but the fabric is from love and the threads of the memory doing the work. I always remember where and when I started and finished a needle craft work.  I can never forget  what my heart has once known, whether person, place or thing. I have been blessed with amazing people in my life. As he/she leaves this Mother Earth, a memory is left behind. That memory is mine. I always cherish the memories. I laugh and talk of people gone in my life, as if they were beside me. I do this because they are next to me. I again meet these individuals in my dreams and sometimes in an awake state. Sometimes I remember those that are here on Earth Mother but no longer present in my life. I pray for their safe journey in life. Prayers and good thoughts for these individuals are done with love and good intentions. Each person in my life has played some sort of role. I always remind myself of this. It allows me to continually move in life.


This weekend Rick and I made herbal salves. It was a relaxing weekend of sleep and rest. There are many ways to make salves.  I would suggest a great book to help you. 'Making Plant Medicine" by Richo Cech is one of the books I have used.
It is easy to make a trauma salve using calendula, arnica and st john's wort. Cech's formula is 100:17 which is volume of herb oil in ml to the (:) weight of beeswax in grams. Cech uses 500 ml of calendula, 250 ml of arnica, and 250 ml of St John's wort to 170 grams of beeswax.

Yes we use beeswax. Why shouldn't we? It is natural, and superior to paraffin. And the best is - it is from our own Honeybees.  Beeswax is universally applicable for making salves and creams.

Cech suggests:
1. Combine herbal oils by pouring in a double boiler
2. Set jars aside on a dry surface
3. In a separate double boiler melt the wax until fluid
4. Slowly pour melted wax into the herbal oils ( make sure you are constantly mixing)
5. Once mixed remove from stove and carefully fill the jars.
6. Allow the salve to harden. Place in dark closet
7. The shelf life for your salve is 3 years.

Rick and I were going  to mimic a salve I made with 7song . This was a great useful salve my herbal class and I did together. It had Chapparhal, St John's wort and two other ingredients., I couldn't find dried Chapparal at Flower Power in NYC. I substituted some other anti microbial herbs from my 'memory bank' and bought those at Flower Power. Sunday evening was fun making salves with Rick

Until tomorrow...
Photo Credit : Rick Byrd

No comments:

Post a Comment