Thursday, July 26, 2012

JULY 26, 2012 GREEN COFFEE EXTRACT ? FRIEND OR FOE




" If  I were to begin life again, I should want it as it was. I would only open my eyes a little more."

This is the truth. The one song that exemplifies the statement above is Peter Allen's 'Once Before I Go"
It starts off..
Once before I go, I want you to know that I would do it all again.
 I'm sure I'd make the same mistakes,
That I could make it through the pains and joys and aches.
I knew back then I would do it all, I'd do it all again

Before I go, I want you to know that I look back with you regrets
And when our luck was wearing thin and we were down and out
And still came back to win against all bets
Now when I look back I still have no regrets

My eyes would be open widely the second time around. This is NOT in relation to my Rick and my children. It would be to certain family members, previous partners and friends. I would not change the past; I would have paid more attention. I will never regret my participation in a twelve step program. It has shaped me into the man I am today. In retrospect, with my eyes being opened more, I could have 'cleaned my house' a lot sooner and more efficient.

The other song that I love in relation to the topic is " I Made it Through the Rain' by Barry Manilow.
I would have learned to give myself and to others a lot sooner than I did in life. I will never forget to give to me - emotionally, spiritually and physically.





A COFFEE BEAN THAT  MELTS FAT? FEATURED ON DR OZ

Are we educating America ? Dr M. Oz, a physician and television host who I have known since my working  days with the late Dr. Robert Atkins supports coffee green extract.  I am happy for his success on his show. Yes, America did need a doctor educating people. What I do not think is healthy is the aftermath of a show featuring  or discussing a supplement. As an integrative physician/ herbalist as well as cardiologist I utilize many herbs and supplements.   I have been using the supplement Vitamin D3 for years. The American people did not take it until mentioned on the Dr Oz show. The same was true of Green Coffee Extract. This is NOT a new discovery abouts its efficacy for weight management. There are reports of its use, efficacy and benefits as early as 2006. This is not new. Onakpya, Terry and Ernst did a systematic review and metanalysis  of randomised clinical trials in the Journal of Gastroenterology Research published in December 2011.

Green Coffee Extract ( GCE- Coffea canephora ) is mostly obtained from green or raw coffee. It has been reported to have anti oxidant potential. The purpose of Onakpya review et al was to assess the clinical efficacy of GCE as a weight loss supplement.  After Dr Oz's show it became the most natural weight loss supplement of 2012. This is wrong !

The study mentioned above did use endpoint of mean changes in body weight.  From this review it does indicate that GCE can promote weight loss.  The magnitude of this weight loss was moderate but there were very few trials and limited small groups. I agree with the authors that larger trials are needed to assess the efficacy and safety of GCE especially if this is to be used on a long term basis. This is why I object to discussing this on a television broadcast. I am afraid that might be long term side effects which have not been studied and it is possibly not right for every overweight individual.

In  2007 ( five years ago) Blum and others studied GCE ( Coffea canephora robusta Pierre) .The authors did conclude the green coffee extract can modulate glucose metabolism which may impact weight management. I did not put patients on this supplement at that time  nor now, because the population studied was 18 men and women from Bangor, Maine. This is not a large patient population and jelly beans were used as the glucose load. An innovative approach which has much merit, but this does not mean I tell the world to use Green Coffee Extract

Until tomorrow....

No comments:

Post a Comment