Friday, July 13, 2012

JULY 13, 2012 BIRDS





The Animals of the planet are in desparate peril...Without free animal life I believe we will lose the spiritual equivalent of oxygen.


- Alice Walker
 
 
The very idea of a bird is a symbol and a suggestion to the poet. A bird seems to be at the top of the scale, so vehement and intense his life. . . . The beautiful vagabonds, endowed with every grace, masters of all climes, and knowing no bounds — how many human aspirations are realised in their free, holiday-lives — and how many suggestions to the poet in their flight and song!


John Burroughs (1837 – 1921), from  Birds and Poets, 1887


Pets are special. Pets are part of your family. Whether it is a dog, a cat, a turtle, a bird and even a goldfish. Yesterday I saw a patient who was sad. She had lost her goldfish which she had in a bowl for 7 years. I felt for her loss. I take a loss of a pet very seriously. To this day, Rick and I grieve the loss of our Yorkshire terrier, Jack. A trusting relationship is the key to successful animal companionship. If you have a pet you know there is a great responsibility. I decided to write about pets especially since I finished the book, Alex and Me given to me by my fear friend, Carol. I love birds. Currently Rick and I have there birds., One Amazon Green named Gracie, 9 years old and two yellow canaries, Alice and Gertrude. I had an African Grey, like Alex named Jolie. A friend of mine had lost her African Grey 7 years ago. Jolie was fairly young, and I decided to give her away. Today this is one of my regrets in life. I am not angry but feel I should have thought about it more carefully
I know one day I will get another African Grey.

The African Grey Parrot is one parrot that is special. This parrot has the capability to mimic but also to understand directions. This was proven by the work with Alex and Dr. Irene Pepperberg. Studies were conducted at Brandeis University with three African Grey Parrots- -Alex, Griffin and Wart. After their studies it was concluded that African Greys do have the ability to comprehend and understand and not only mimic
There are differences between a Congo and Timnah African in regard to size and certain color characteristics.

Do I want you to get a bird? The answer is... if you can devote the time- then yes. I want you to appreciate birds ! Observe them--do bird watching and most of all - love birds.

Until tomorrow..

No comments:

Post a Comment