Monday, July 2, 2012

JULY 2, 2012 ALLIUM








" Love all, trust a few." - William Shakespeare

"To be trusted is a greater compliment than to be loved" - J MacDonald


Do you trust ? I know I trust less these days, than I have in the past. I trust my Rick. I trust my best friend, Patrick. I trust my family, but that is also selective. When you have been 'burned' or 'taken' you begin to trust less and less. Some of these issues happened after I got sober, when I was just starting to trust. I have trust in G.O.D. ' A man that trusts G.O.D. is the man who should be trusted." Trust is one of those character defects or personality traits I work on a daily basis.

I believe next to Green Tea, Garlic is the second most studied herb. Garlic is one of the few herbs that is both famous for its culinary and medicinal benefits. Studies have proven its anti bacterial, anti fungal, anti amebicidal and even anti insecticide potential. It is a confirmed expectorant; has diuretic properties, and can induce sweating.
Studies have been written on its lipid lowering effects, its treatment against high blood pressure and well as 'blood thinning effect. I co authored a paper on the Benefits of Garlic which reviewed at that time, some 120 papers written on Garlic.
One of the largest plant genera, the genus Allium includes some 600-700 species. So the leek, onion and garlic are all of the genus Allium.  I love the diversity of garlic. The interesting fact to me about garlic is the extensive history dating back to Ancient Egypt and the Mediterranean Basin. It also dates back to Ancient India, China and Medieval Europe. There is even literature on linking garlic and its relatives to the underworld as in seeking their protection or eliminating the evil.  Remember garlic and vampires never get along.

In a very unique book by Eric Block, " Garlic and Other Alliums: The Lore and the Science" the outline of the history of garlic is most remarkable. There is scrutiny of historic documents about garlic. I was intrigued by the cultivation of garlic and the other allium species. I feel the book tied in all aspects of garlic and the alliums in pictures,photographs, poetry, art and literature. I have never seen this in a book unless you are inclined to read, James Dukes, " Medicinal Plants from the Bible. "
Some parts of the Garlic book can get very technical. For me, it is the first time I have read a complete book with everything you needed or wanted to know about a herb.
Regardless whether you read this book or not, I urge you to use garlic both as a culinary spice, or as a medicinal herb if inclined. Garlic is great for sore throats and infections.
The book is available at RSCPublishing  or at www.rsc.org/books.
Remember if used in cooking. Cut and mince and allow the garlic to sit for 10 minutes to activate the allicin is the garlic. If you cook it in olive oil --add it to the end of the preparation.

Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment