Wednesday, July 11, 2012

JULY 11, 2012 ASPARAGUS


“In all things of nature there is something of the marvelous.” — Aristotle

“In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt.” — Margaret Atwood

“Today I have grown taller from walking with the trees.” — Karle Wilson Baker

Look around you ! Are you in cruise control with your life ? Are you too busy to enjoy the nature around you. The nature around you is alive. Just take the time to realize it is there. It doesn't have to be in a park or garden, it could be on the street where you live. There are many tree lined streets in New York City. One of my favorites streets is East 78th Street between 2nd and 3rd Avenue. I love the little stores, the brownstones  and the many trees on that street. It is refreshing.
In my humble opinion, in order to grow spiritually , you must have a connection with nature.
Do you have a connection with nature ?


Did you ever eat purple or white asparagus ? I have. Green, purple and white are all from the Lily Family and species Asparagus offcinalis.  I find it so interesting that I would have never thought asparagus part of the Lily Family. It was only during my Ithaca experience and classifying plants from the text book, Gleason and Conquist that I learned about Botany. My botanical Latin course at the New York Botanical Gardens also helped me categorize plants even better.  The purple are sweeter than the green, yet I think the white is sweeter than all three.

Asparagus has been grown since about 4,000 BC. While the Greeks focused on curing every aliment with asparagus, the Romans thought it has aphrodisiac effects. The French king, Louis XIV had green houses built just to grow asparagus year long. I wonder if asparagus improved his sex life.



Why eat asparagus ? I do not think you could find a vegetable with more nutrients than asparagus. It provides Vitamin A, B6 and C. The minerals it provides include iron and  potassium. It has more Folic acid and glutathione than any other vegetable. Glutathione is a powerful anti oxidant. Asparagus is high in fiber. It acts as a natural diuretic. The other plant that I utilize as a diuretic is dandelion.  After reading about growing and harvesting asparagus , I find it intimidating. Yet I will continue to read until I have enough land to grow some.

I am not a farmer. One day, Rick and I would love to have an organic vegetable and herb garden. We grow herbs on  the terrace. I would find it peaceful to have a farm. I know it would be lots of work, but gratifying.
Farming as well as organic vegetable gardens are a big responsibility as well as beekeeping. Since beekeeping rooftop legalization in 2010, I know many more beekeepers.The New York Times there weeks ago had an article of Bee Swarms. There are more swarms due to more beekeepers.  It is more of a commitment than most realize. I used to describe beekeeping as a hobby, but it is much more than that. Our hives on Fire Island need tender loving care. I meditated 30 minutes in front of the back bee hive this weekend with honeybees all around. It was surreal.

I believe gardening, farming and beekeeping provides a sense of community while educating the neighborhood. I hope one day more Fire island residents will realize that we must save the environment. I commend individuals for saving history and buildings, but without saving the environment and nature you have nothing.

Until tomorrow....

No comments:

Post a Comment