Monday, July 23, 2012

JULY 23, 2012 DROWNING HICCUPS




" It's not the situation... It's your reaction to the situation."

There are many situations in which we could react to. We might react too hastily and some we not react at all. This weekend while on the Fire Island Shores reading, there was one of those situations. A young man was rescued from the ripe tide by a woman, Christina. She did a heroic job. As the young man was carried out, Rick said, " Patrick.. Go !" I jumped up immediately and attending to the situation. I got into my emergency room /cardiology mode. With Officer Bob I did the pulse, blood pressure, and helped him cough up sea-water fluid. he was having some hiccups from swallowing sea water. I reacted to the situation knowing there was no on call Fire Island Doc in sight. Although the thought of no doctor on call for the weekend disturbs me, I did what I thought was right. I reacted to the situation, although my Rick had to yell loud as I was absorbed in my book.  I was a humanitarian. As I talked to almost drowned Marcus , he was very grateful. I could tell he had been drinking, but at that moment it did not matter. No one talked to me as I did my job, nor afterward. I do not care.  He was air lifted with Christina to Stony Brook. I went back to my chair with Rick and picked up my semi biography book about Sharon Matola ' Flight of the Scarlet Macaw "  as if nothing happened. I got more acquainted with the animals that Gregory talks about so much in the Belize Zoo.( See below)  I saw Christina later in the day. Marcus was still at the hospital. I am a very grateful individual.






I do not know what gave me hiccups. Was it the wintergreen smell or the smoke from the wintergreen Huka.?  A hiccup is a common irrigation of the diaphragmatic nerves which cause involuntary inhalation of air. There are many remedies to hiccups. I have heard them all. Swallow water and hold for 10 minutes in your mouth or breath into a paper bag. The lowering of the diaphragm and the sudden closure of the vocal cords result sin the hiccup.
Perhaps mine was brought on by the carbonated water this weekend. Most of attacks only last a few minutes. Prolonged hiccups can exhaust you. Mine did not last long as I did the trick I always do.
I squirted some lemon juice to the back of my throat and then sucked on a fresh piece of lemon.
Lemons have great properties as a blood purifier, anti fungal, antiseptic and also aids in digestion. Lemons are great for cuts and scrapes. It also con control bladder and kidney infections.
In Fire Island it is great as an insect repellent for mosquitoes, flies and spiders. I encourage people to drink warm water and lemon juice first thing in the morning . It is great to detoxify the liver.
In Traditional Chinese Medicine it is though that there is either too much Cold or Hot in the system. I have a friend who practices homeopathy who swears by Nux Vomica for hiccups as well as Arsenicum. He also states that if the hiccups are emotional another remedy is Igatia.


If your hiccups start to give you chest pain, I would seek medical attention.

Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment