Wednesday, July 4, 2012

JULY 4, 2012 BON VOYAGE GREGORY - BELIZE










The tree which moves some to tears of joy is in the eyes of others only a green thing that stands in the way. Some see nature all ridicule and deformity...and some scarce see nature at all. But to the eyes of the man of imagination, nature is imagination itself. -William Blake

Some individuals have a sense of nature, animals, insects and plants. I am one of those individuals. I am passionate about saving Earth Mother. I am passionate about honeybees and its declining populations. I always helped animals when growing up. This past Friday I was walking home from the office and I noticed a small sparrow that could not fly. I picked him up placed him on my shoulders and down 57th street we went. People were staring at me and pointing. I didn't care and didn't stop. My goal was to get 'the little sparrow' in Central Park among the grass and the trees. I was tempted to take him home. It was a long way out of the way, but well worth it.

Like father, like son.  Gregory has the passion, patience, love and compassion for animals. Not only small animals like cats and dogs, but he is interested in large animals as gorillas, tigers, monkeys, birds et al.

Today at 5am, Rick and I drove our son, Gregory to the airport. He is leaving for Belize to volunteer for two months. He has worked hard during the school year. He is applying for Vet School in September 2012. He will be graduating earlier than expected. We are excited about his 2 volunteer positions in Belize. I didn't cry at the departing but shed the tears in the car.Then Rick started to cry and then we were both crying I couldn't help it.Rick said, " Honey, he is living out his dreams and his life." These were tears of joy. Two greatest joys in my life were the birth of my children. I was given a second chance in life... I got sober. Today, sobriety has allowed me to be present. I am responsible because of a twelve step program. It was not the abstaining but rather the 12 steps . Both children didn't have a golden spoon childhood. They moved many times, attended different schools, and had what I say an adjustment period. It is beyond my wildest dreams when I see the dimples of Alyssa's smile and Gregory's grin. I am one lucky man.

The first is at the Caribbean Wildlife Centre, which is also known as ‘The Best Little Zoo in the World’. The centre is a zoo that houses 125 different native species, many of which are rescued or rehabilitated animals. It also provides visitors to the facility with a great deal of education concerning wildlife in Belize. My duties there will include food preparation, animal husbandry practices, animal encounters/introductions, animal infant/orphan care and visitor education. The second is at Wildtracks, a non-profit conservation that participates in primate and manatee rehabilitation. The primate rehabilitation center focuses on providing care and re-introducing both the howler and spider monkeys into their natural habitats. These monkeys are endangered due to the pet trade and decrease in forest coverage. The manatee rehabilitation center duties include behavior monitoring, manatee companionship in the water during early development, calf rescues, public awareness discussions and pool maintenance.

 He set up a web site to get funding. During the last month through the generosity of friends/family he exceeded his goal of raising $1,500 for his trip. Rick and I want to thank all for you for your kindness, love and generosity towards his volunteer project. We are proud of him--very proud of him. We will miss him, but look forward to all the photos, adventures and of course, the animals.

Until Gregory and I meet again, may the good lord hold him in the palm of his hands.

Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment