Wednesday, August 1, 2012

AUGUST 1, 2012 HERBAL DIABETES TREATMENTS

"Better indeed is knowledge than mechanical practice. Better than knowledge is meditation. But better still is surrender of attachment to results, because there follows immediate peace."  —Bhagavad Gita





Diabetes Mellitus ( DM) is a chronic metabolic disorder which affects millions worldwide and the incidence continues to rise . It is of epidemic proportions. As the late Robert Atkins used to say, " WE have two epidemics obesity and diabetes." These two epidemics lead to still the number one killer within the United States- Cardiovascular Disease which is preventable. 7% of the worldwide population is estimated to have diabetes which when calculated is unbelievable and beyond reproach. DM is a preventable disease with dietary and exercise lifestyle changes.

In other countries, plant medicine is widely used to treat diabetes. Few studies , if any address the concomitant use of herbal medicine and conventional DM therapy.  The Palestian Authority decided to study those using herbal medicines and conventional used drugs for DM. Of this study, the majority was women over 40. The group interviewed was 1883 patients. I find this study useful to determine who is using what remedy. How much is being used ? and where did the users find out about these herbs ?
All are important questions. Rural residents had a much higher use of herbal medicine than urban areas. Older females taught their younger females to use herbal medicines.

I find it incredible that 100 plant species were used from 44 botanical names with 58 species coming from 30 plant families cited by more than 3 patients. I do not think I could name more than 10 plant species that I use for diabetes mellitus.
The most commonly used were the following
1. Rosemary ( Rosmarnus officinalis)
2. Fenugreek ( Trigonella foenum-graecum)
3. Olive ( Olea eurupea)
4. Cat-thyme germander ( Teucrium pollium ssp)
5. Cinnamon ( Cinnamomum verum syn ssp)

I have used #1,#2 and #5 with regular use with concomitant conventional diabetic medicines. Other herbs I utilize include Bitter Melon, Gymnema, and Hoodia.

Other modalities used and reported were prayer, vitamins, minerals, exercise, honey and kefir grains. Of the above I utilize many vitamins and minerals for diabetes including and not limited to chromium, alpha lipoic acid, and vanadium. An exercise lifestyle change should always be included in a patient with diabetes.
As you may know, honey is my favorite since I have the advantage of using my own honey from my own 'girls' and their hives.

More studies need to be conducted. I would love to see a double blind study using a herbal medicine known for its glucose stabilization versus a conventional medicine. I do not know if in my lifetime I will see a study but I do not know when

Photo Credit:  Rosemary and me in Philadelphia by Rick Byrd.

Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment