Tuesday, August 7, 2012

AUGUST 7, 2012 PAIN IN THE ... CRAMPS




"The bond that links your true family is not one of blood, but of respect and joy in each other's life. Rarely do members of the same family grow up under the same roof."  —Richard Bach

This quote left me speechless. I began to think about blood relations and what it means. I get to know more about families from the patients I have seen over the years. At this point in my life, the old adage that blood is thicker than water means absolutely nothing. It is a worthless saying in my book. Blood might be thick, but the respect and joy means more. I sometimes get more respect and joy from friends- some of them old and some of them new than from family members. There are cousins, 'people I used to call aunt/uncle and family I have been close to over the years. As I got older I began to realize that I did most of the calling and the visiting. That didn't bother me as much as the respect I was given as an individual. An individual with a different lifestyle. I didn't care about the respect as a medical doctor. I cared more about the respect of myself from others. When that respect of my gay lifestyle was nullified, so was that relationship. Life goes on. People will come and go through all of our lives. Live every day as if it was your last day.


Who doesn't get a cramp now and then. I do ! A cramp is a painful muscular spasm which occurs most frequently in the feet and legs. My father used to get plenty and used to scream He called them ' Charlie Horses' These cramps can occur int he abdomen, arms and hands. In the hands this is sometimes called 'writer's cramp' ( not writer's block)
Some of the causes is excessive salt loss through sweating, prolonged sitting or standing, lying in an unusual position and even strenuous exercise, Those that get tingled int he hands are probably sleeping on the wrong kind of pillow, or you have some cervical ( neck) arthritis.
The muscle contractions in the legs are short lived but can be prolonged. You need to gently massage the muscle
You are most likely in the need of minerals. You should use Gatorade as this has too much sugar. You could use a children's pedialyte formula. There are also folk or home remedies that have been used for years.
One is to apply a compress of apply cider vinegar. The other is a sip of lemon juice before bedtime for night cramps. The third is my favorite because it involves HONEY. Take 1 tablespoon of honey and one tablespoon of vinegar . Place in hot water and drink. This formula distributes calcium throughout the bloodstream thus relieving cramps.

My favorite herb for cramping is so easy to remember It is crampbark. This can be taken as a tea five times / day or as a tincture or capsules.  It is also good to massage the ointment of cramp bark into the area.
Lets discuss cramp bark. It is Viburnum opulus.  this bark is from the wild form of the guelder rose. It has been used for centuries to treat spasms of the colon. It also is a mild sedative and acts as a relaxant. I thought I would surely find in Breverton's Complete Herbal ( based on Culpeper's) but i did not. When you buy cramp bark, it is usually sold in thin strips. It has quite a smell which you will eventually be able to tell it is cramp bark. I caution those with blood pressure issues or those on blood pressure medications as too much cramp bark can lower your blood pressure.  Recently I am starting to add Cramp Bark OR Black haw bark to my irritable bowel formulas as it helps as a spasmodic. Always consult with a health care provider. I have spoken to a pediatrician who uses cramp  bark when bed wetting is associated with tension and anxiety.

The flower essence, rescue remedy is great to relieve cramps as it relieves anxiety. Lavender essential oil can be used to massage the muscle.

In traditional Chinese medicine, ( TCM ), Gan Caseo is used to stop spams.

Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment