Thursday, August 23, 2012

AUGUST 23, 2012 THE FORGOTTEN VITAMIN




" Our spiritual task is to become less rigid in our attachments and more accepting of the flow of life."

Life will go on whether you want it to or not. This is the flow of life. It is but a tangled ball of yarn or thread with many twists and turns as many of us sometimes learn. My spiritual task growing up was rigid. It was a tightly wound ball of yarn. It was stand up, sit down, on your knees. It was reciting verses and prayers, and of course confessions. At that time in my life it was possibly what I needed. I do not need a rigid schedule at this time in my life. I certainly appreciate the pomp and circumstance and the ceremonial masses. I especially thrive in the history of the Catholic Church. But do I need to be spiritual in a church. I can be spiritual in a synagogue, a church, a park and on the beach. I could be spiritual in the woods among the trees, which in itself are spiritual.
HUG  A TREE TODAY !




In the last few years, Vitamin E has been bashed, rehashed and spit out of many mouths. This is not fair. I do highly regard the studies that have been done. As many studies there are on the benefits of Vitamin E, I can cite those studies that have negative effects of Vitamin E.

Vitamin E is not just a single compound., It is composed of a family of eight similar compounds, There is much known about Vitamin E as compared to when I was in medical school , a mere 25 years ago.
The alpha tocopherol Vitamin E has fallen from the sky as a crashing comet, but you must give credit to the other compounds, especially tocotrienol. This is the lesser known Vitamin E. There are great studies on this type for cardiovascular disease, and now I look forward to the new studies for cancer therapies.

For one the tocotrienols have a different chemical structure and there is a wider range of cell membrane coverage versus the alpha tocopherol group. The other fact which I find the most important is the superiority of the antioxidant effect for the tocotrienols as compared to the alpha tocopherols.

There are many more pathways that are activated by the tocotrienols. Due to this fact alone, there will be in the future more cancer prevention and cancer therapies studied for the tocotrienols. This group has repeatedly in studies been shown to inhibit cancer cells. This is not true of the alpha tocopherols. Astonishing a third of all the research on Vitamin E has been published in the last 3 years, even though there are studies dating back to the 1970's on Vitamin E

For those who take Vitamin E ...take a mixed tocotrienols. Do not take one specific Vitamin E as alpha tocopherols.  You must move with the times. You must be well informed.

Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment