Thursday, August 16, 2012

AUGUST 16, 2012 MEN'S HEALTH






" Be grateful for the gift of another day and live it creatively and respectfully."

Every single moment is a gift. I do not think most of us realize this. There are two sides to my G.O.D. chosen proifession- fortunately I am able to help people, and unfortunately sometimes I help but he/she will leave the earth. I get saddened. I get close to my patients. Some I have known for my entire medical career. I have been fortunate to know patients that have reached a century mark. I find this most amazing. I am grateful to have been a small part in their 100 years. Be grateful and blessed for what you have. Some do not have 1/10 of what you have. I am a blessed and grateful man.




There are many male health  issues. Some men worry about some more than others. In the younger male, there is acne; in the teenage/young adult years there is possible a hydrocele, herpes and other sexually transmitted diseases. In ages 30-40 there is possibly testicular carcinoma, hair loss, and erection difficulties. As men age there is prostate issues, impotence, ejaculatory problems, incontinence and vitality issues.

I do not think these change whether you are gay or straight, but I will say that in general gay men take care of themselves a lot better when it comes to the general appearance.
There are many medications to be used therapeutically . There are also many herbs that can be used. Some of these categories include adaptogens, antimicrobial, aphrodisiacs, diuretics, detoxifying, nervines and stimulants.

What intrigued me over the years is the many more applications there are in herbals versus conventional medicines. . In herbal medicine there are compresses, hair rinses, salves, teas, and tinctures. In conventional medicine, there only seems to be the 'pill' or tablet. How many times have you gone to your doctor and you received a Rx or prescription ? I bet, countless times. How many times have you gone to your doctor and received a poultice, syrup of essential oil remedy ? Probably not too often.

Here are some general tips which I find important for the male patient:

1. Know the male anatomy and how it works
2. Find a health care provider you are comfortable with
3. Practice dietary and exercise lifestyle changes
4. Know how to release daily pressures/
5. Avoid anger and resentment which only will lead to disease
6. Get better sleep
7. Improve communication skills with your partner
8. Always keep the sexual practices new and inventive
9. Relax when urinating or defecating
10 Get a hobby

One tea blend I often recommend for the male from ages 40 - 60 with anxiety issues is a combination of oat straw, lemon balm, skullcap and blue vervain. I sometimes use chamomile but since it is used in a lot of anxiety/nervine teas i want to be new , creative and different.

When I get over 60, I will start to make a tea for my prostate which contains raspberry, oat straw, nettles, and dandelion.

Until tomorrow....

No comments:

Post a Comment