Wednesday, August 22, 2012

AUGUST 22, 2012 DO VITAMINS MAKE A DIFFERENCE ?




" If you show up for yourself in your life, the universe will show up for you. "

I show up today. I sometimes, not always showed up in the past. I am a responsible human being today. I am the man I always wanted to be be. I still have character defects or personality traits that I continually work on for change, but I like...no, I love myself.  I know if I show up, the universe will show up. I have that belief. I know if I " put out" good energy to the universe, it wil be returned. This is karmic energy...

Show up for YOU today....

It is hard for me to read and listen to individuals stating vitamins do not make a difference. I have been studying, researching and using vitamins in my medical practice for my entire career. I was fortunate to work with a diet/vitamin guru, the late Robert Atkins, MD Through those years and our countless radio shows together, I had the pleasure to meet the most well respected and knowledgeable men and women in the integrative world. All had a favorite vitamin or supplement. As a registered herbalist, I can now extend my knowledge base to herbs. Vitamin supplementation and herbs do make a difference.

As physicians we focus on our particular specialty ( my specialty is Cardiology). I do that also, but I extend my specialities to Internal Medicine, Clinical Nutrition, Integrative Medicine and Herbal ( Botanical ) Medicine. My goal is to help the individual using all modalities of medicine. If I do not know how to practice a specific modality, I refer the patient to that particular modality whether acupuncture, Chinese herbology and energy medicine. It is the same as if an internist doe snot practice a specific modality, he .she refers out to gastroenterology, cardiology and neurology.

Recently in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, a double blind study was performed on 900 men and women with psychological stress. Some were assigned to receive folic acid and B12 or placebo. Cognitive function improved in both groups, but improvement was significantly greater in the vitamin group after 24 months. This is not new to me. It has been shown in many studies that B supplementation is needed in the elderly. This study group used only 400 micrograms of folic acid and only 100 micrograms of B12. I use doses much higher than that.

In the last three weeks I saw one of my nonagenarian patients start to decline. His will to life was gone and he was what I call, " Failure to Thrive" In addition to giving him some salt in an intravenous bag, I decided to try to give him a boost of intravenous vitamins containing all the B vitamins, zinc,m selenium , copper and much more. This past Friday, he came to the office.This was a dramatic change. He was smiling and sitting upright.He was not slumping in his chair, nor was he speechless. he was waving and talking. This is not a miracle. This is addressing the patients needs. This is asking about his home diet and his supplements. This is caring .....

This is why I love the medicine I practice !

Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment