Wednesday, August 15, 2012

AUGUST 15, 2012 THE ROLE OF BITTERS




" Love is  accepting, not expecting."

Thanks Karen. I haven't heard this quote in a long time. Sometimes you need to hear it, when you really need to hear it. I have learned that expecting anything is not the way for my life. I accept whatver I have. I do not expect anything from anyone. Oh yes, I do expect honestly, but I know even this is not always possible.
Life is but a ball of twisted yarn !





Putting the skin aside, the liver is the largest organ in the body. It approximately can weigh about 3 lbs. The size of the liver reflects how much work it performs. The liver unlike other organs has the ability to regenerate , and can re grow its cell population after injury or even surgery. The liver is the major detoxification organ. The livers clears all the toxins out of the body.

In my medical training years I have never heard of the role of bitters. I know my European colleagues heard about bitters from their family upbringing in either England ( where I trained ) or Scotland. Bitters have been historically used to treat a wide variety of illnesses, especially when they pertain to the digestive system. Bitter plants are still part of the treatment modality for liver ailments. The bitters stimulates secretions, notably bile and increases the breakdown and absorption of fats.  Bitters have the ability to increase liver cell stimulation . Bitters are not for everyone.

Herbs used for the liver and digestive tracts can be divided into categories. This categorization was unheard of when I studied medicines. I feel it is a better way to breakdown the role of the liver and the medicines or plants that can be used. This classification was used when I learned Botanical Medicine. The six categories are:
1. Aromatic bitters
2. Cholagogues
3. General liver tonic
4. Constitutional tonics
5. Liver 'purgatives'
6. Simple bitters

Credit for my learning goes  to 7Song. I have  his teaching of hepatic herbs very useful in my medical practice. There are many symptoms of liver ailments. I can apply my knowledge of different herbs in these categories to the individuals particular ailment.  For example for the alcoholic or drug addict who has abused their liver for so many years, I would consider milk thistle, artichoke, turmeric and chicory. These are the herbs I think of for detoxifying.

When the liver really needs to purge toxins and needs a good 'kickstart'  I would use Mayapple or Poke, but would use caution as I have seen some of these remedies ' back fire'

The more knowledge you have about your patient, both medically, socially ,psychologically and financially - the better the choice can be made. It always helps me in choosing the specific herb. I am intuitive about this.

Until tomorrow...


No comments:

Post a Comment