Monday, August 6, 2012

AUGUST 6, 2012 BEE-FRIENDLY FRIENDS








"You have all the ingredients and the recipe to make a magnificent life now. Now is the time to mix them together and see what you can create. It's all about love. It's always been about love. Love is the only thing that's real."
—David Simon

We all have the ingredients and the recipe to make a magnificent life. I once stated my recipe of life is a little of my mother, my grandmother and my Great Aunt Katie. I lost that recipe and only did I get back to the 'old me' until I entered a twelve step program. In the times I wasn't sober, I isolated myself  from my friends and family. Today, life is different. I have a wonderful life. To the best of my ability I have made amends. I also began to realize what is true friendships/family. I had to clean my closet , and on a continue basis I still need to some cleaning. There are new friends in our lives, that I know will be lifelong.
This weekend two friends,  Alan and Grant shared in our love for bees by opening our hives. We also each tasted the honey.

" How doth the little busy bee,
Improve each shining hour,
And gather honey all the day
From every opening flower . "
- Rev. Isaac Watts ( 1674-1748)

Honey for centuries has been considered the natural elixir. It was once considered the gift from the gods. Honey has many medicinal properties from its potential antioxidants to healing wounds. Manuka honey from Australia is great for healing human and animal wounds. Honey has a religious involvement in Buddhism. It is central to the festival of Madhu Purnima . This was when Buddha made peace among his disciples  by retreating into the wilderness. It was suggested that a monkey and an elephant fed Buddha fruit and honeycomb.Since honey retains moisture it is now added as an ingredient in many beauty products.Many anti aging products contain honey.

As Alan and Grant watched Rick and I opened both our back and front hives. We didn't taste the honey from the back hive, but gladly  each had 1/8 spoonful each from the front hive. Alan and Grant even tasted the honeycomb.  I did pray and meditate this time to avoid getting stung. I know this helps and calms our bees.  I will admit that Rick did smoke the front hive as we didn't  last weekend .Our girls were quite angry
last weekend. This weekend they were not as we got to taste their 'golden honey' What a taste !

There are three great books I recommend reading on Honey. These are

1. The Backyard Beekeeper's HONEY Handbook by Kim Flottum

2. A Honey Cook Book: Recipes from the Home of the Honey Bee.  A.I. Root Co

3.The Honey Trail: In Pursuit of Liquid Gold and Vanishing Bees - Grace Pundyk

Photo Credit: Grant Schaffer ( all except man covered in bees)

I need prayers and meditation for our son , Gregory who is on a different coast of Belize rescuing animals on an internship. On Tuesday he will need to evacuate with other interns as to date a Category 1 Hurricane with 75mph winds will hit the coast. Keep you posted.

No comments:

Post a Comment