Friday, March 19, 2010

Constant Learning is Essential




















March 19, 2010 Friday
"I am always willing to learn, however I do not always like to be taught."
--Winston Churchill


I received this quote on my phone today from a friend--there are no coincidences. It gave me the inspiration to discuss a person's willingness to learn, including mine. Some seventeen years ago I was willing to try something new. I was willing to learn but it took me some time to be taught. I did it my way and I had to start again after ninety days and do it a different way. Most of us do not want to be taught or "told" about different ways. But I think it best if our minds are like sieves, always open to new ideas.

The idea of lifestyle changes creates fear--again that word fear appears. I could never say that I do not have fear. I do have certain fears. Everyone has at least one fear. They might not even realize the fear they have.

When considering a change in one's dietary lifestyle, there is always a certain amount of resistance. Most people feel they can never go without a piece of Italian or French bread, chocolate ice cream or even a glass of wine. Remember it is only for today. You can start the day over any time you want. But consider this: you may add extra time to your clock when you change your dietary lifestyle. This means you increase your survival by years. Maybe now that doesn't seem like much but it might allow you to see your children and/or grandchildren graduate high school or college and even attend their commitment ceremony.

This is why your consumption of 'white' must change. In my opinion, sugar equals 'white death'. Prior to the industry of processed food in this country, we had very little diabetes and heart disease. It wasn't until Wonder Bread hit the shelves and the food industry began adding more chemicals to food that these diseases began to rise in this country. Very little, if any, heart disease was known in the 1920s. I am sure it was there but infectious disease killed millions (remember the Influenza pan epidemic of 1918).

All disease can be traced to the consumption of some food. High sugar intake will lead to diabetes which will lead to obesity which will lead to Cardiovascular Disease. The same can be said about milk. Read "The Untold Story of Milk". I am not advocating drinking any raw milk but there are studies to support drinking raw milk from certified farmers for certain diseases. Raw milk (unpasteurized) still has all the enzymes in it, unlike the milk most of us purchase today.

I am sure you are still thinking about yesterday's HALT lesson. Was there anything to be learned? Sure: eat balanced meals and snacks in between them. Try to consume less white carbohydrates.

The needlework above is cross-stitch. During this past summer, I decided to do bookmarks. Actually I started doing them some 8-9 years ago. I needed a hobby at that time in my life to boost my self-esteem. It gave me a task and resulted in a finished product. Today, life is about action not reaction.

Although Sir William Osler stated, "Medicine is not taught in the classroom (books) but at the bedside," it is appropriate today that a bookmark reads BOOKS.

Until tomorrow...

1 comment: