Tuesday, March 30, 2010

HERBS FOR THE GUT












Do you want self worth?

"Leaving your comfort zone of current patterns and behaviors is a courageous step toward self-growth" KM

March 31, 2010 Wednesday

"Horticultural Therapy is a process through which plants, gardening activities, and the innate closeness we all feel toward Nature are used as vehicles in professionally conducted programs of therapy and rehabilitation" S. Davis


I am not sure I totally agree with the above. Plants are special. Those that grow and cultivate any plant are special also. Below is a list of Plant and Herb books that everyone should consider reading.


1. Natural Healing Therapies - Raje Airey and Jessica Houdret


2. Nature's Aphrodisiacs - Nancy Nickell


3. Plenty - Alisa Smith and JB Mackinnon


4. Holistic Aromatherapy for Animals - Kristen Leigh Ball


5. Plant Spirit Medicine - Eliot Cowan


6. Healthy Aging - Andrew Weil MD


When the gut is inflamed by either a food allergy, yeast, heavy metal toxicity or chronic infections, there are some nutrients and herbs that will heal the gut. The first and foremost to alleviate the bloating and gas is an amino acid called glutamine. It restores the flat rug to the shag rug thus allowing the gut to absorb, make vitamin D and to make the happy hormone, serotonin. The amount of glutamine will vary depending on the severity of the symptoms. I usually recommend 1 gram to 5 grams per day.


Everyone needs a probiotic. These are the good species of bacteria, not only what you get from yogurt, which is lactobacillus. You need a probiotic that has all the species. This isn't your GNC or Vitamin Shop probiotic.


There are many herbs that can alleviate gut issues. One herb, Lemon Balm (Melissa officinalis) has a strong lemon scent and white flowers. It is used for painful menstruation, headaches and even colds due to viruses. Preparations of Lemon balm are approved for the treatment of digestive tract spasms.


For the irritable bowel patients, I suggest trying Linseed. Directions: Dissolve 15 ml/1 tablespoon of linseeds in 250 ml (8 fluid oz) of warm water and leave overnight. The next morning, strain into a mug and drink the liquid to help with the cramps, bloating and gas. There are many other herbs that I will discuss in the coming months. Other herbs that are wonderful for the gastrointestinal tract are chamomille, ginger and peppermint


The needlepoint above was given to a dear friend and mother-like individual, Barbara. Since my mother passed on 28 years ago, I have adopted, or rather some special women have adopted me as their son. It started with Aunt Mary (my dad's sister), Aunt Mary-Ann (my mom's cousin) and Nancy (Rick's mom) who was actually born on the same day as my mom (July 21st). I met Barbara more than 13 years ago. We have had great times together. She is a Yorkie lover and had, I believe, 6 at one time. Daisy was my favorite and I think hers as well. When Daisy passed on, I made this pillow for her. Now she has Gia.


Photo Credit: Barbara Berkall


Until tomorrow...







No comments:

Post a Comment