Friday, March 26, 2010

FOCUS, MEMORY AND YOUR GUT



















March 26 2010 Friday
"I do not want everyone to like me; I should think less of myself if some people did."
--Henry James

Mr. James was an American writer who authored many works including "Daisy Miller", who never married. Now really, what does that tell you? It should tell you that he just didn't get married and preferred bachelorhood, but no. Even in the 1800's there were many whispers--gossip. Gossip is nothing more than character assassination. He was in love with his first cousin, yet some will debate that his erotic letters to young men speak for themselves. Who cares? He was an artistic writer.

Yesterday we discussed how carbohydrates and food allergies cause low vitamin D and low serotonin levels. The low serotonin causes the brain to compensate by increasing epinephrine and GABA, causing anxiety and insomnia respectively. Now how is memory and your ability to concentrate impacted by your dietary lifestyle? Would you ever think that food allergies and consumption of 'white' carbohydrates could affect your brain? The low serotonin level reaching the brain from the flat rug of your intestines will cause a neurotransmitter called dopamine to be decreased. It is almost hand and hand. Low serotonin causing depression will also cause low dopamine. Dopamine is a very important neurotransmitter found to be low in those with Parkinson's disease. Low dopamine causes memory loss and reduced ability to focus and concentrate.

I do not think many individuals would relate a 'poor' diet to depression, anxiety, insomnia and memory loss. I apologize for saying 'poor' diet. You may have a good diet but need some guidance. Less than 15% of people I educate who have a good diet also have depression, anxiety, etc. These are real diseases, and I want you to see how they are related to your diet. Those with a good diet just need what I call 'fine tuning'. This fine tuning could be crucial. Consuming less carbohydrates, you will feel more energy, be more focused and sleep better. This is not a miracle. This is how it works!!

You also must realize that we all are human. No one is perfect. Do not think for one minute that I will pass up Pumpkin pie or Nancy's Southern Pecan pie at Thanksgiving or Christmas. I will not...do not deprive yourself. Just eat smart. Eat in moderation. You may be having the right choices but your portion sizes are too large. This may indicate that you do not eat enough throughout the day--perhaps you skip meals or do not have healthy snacks between meals.

Gifts--what are gifts? Gifts are your children, your partner and your beloved animals to name a few. There are many more gifts. As I approach a significant birthday number, I have time to reflect. I believe that my parents conveyed a message that I was a gift. I didn't realize it when I was young, but the older I got the more I knew that they did their best for me. I would love to pick up the phone right now and ask them but there is no phone wire to heaven. We all have different backgrounds and I do think to an extent we all have dysfunction within our families. Who knows what our parents were going through when we were born-I can only guess there was financial insecurity, not unlike today. If you do not believe you are a gift, start thinking of it now. Our children are gifts, Gracie, my parrot is a gift, our dogs are gifts, Rick is a gift and our parents are gifts.

I love reading so again I do needle craft bookmarks. This is cross stitch. HERBS- why did I do one for herbs. Herbs are nature's medicine. Herbs are beneficial for many diseases. Through this blog I plan to share a lot of information about herbs over the coming months.

Until tomorrow....

No comments:

Post a Comment