Saturday, January 15, 2011

JANUARY 15, 2011 YOUR HIDDEN PAIN-








"You can forgive someone almost anything. But you cannot tolerate everything...We don't have to tolerate what people do just because we forgive them for doing it. Forgiving heals us personally. To tolerate everything only hurts us all in the long run."


I believe that one of the most essential requirements for true spiritual growth and deep personal transformation is coming to peace with pain. Is coming to peace with pain the same thing as forgiveness? I could not have evolved without change. I know that the periods of change are not always comfortable.

Change is daring to question our needs for comfort and control. Change causes fear. I do know today that becoming familiar with this pain was part of my growing process. Some of us need the assistance of a health care professional, as a psychiatrist or psychologist to face these disturbances. These meetings often allow us to realize there is a layer of deep seated pain. It is within the core of your heart. You might spend your entire life avoiding this pain. I can relate to this type of pain.

My pain was possibly my failure to adequately deliver CPR to my mother. My entire personality was built upon ways to avoid the pain or even talking about the pain. I didn't allow myself to explore beyond the pain. I did 'many things' to avoid the pain. Another aspect of my life was avoiding the pain of a different sexual lifestyle--being gay. I avoided the pain of admitting 'I Am What I Am' by keeping my weight a certain way, dressing a certain way, choosing a certain hairstyle and even talking a certain way. To this day I hear stories similar to mine when it comes to being gay.I even see these types of defense mechanisms in young gay teenagers when first coming out. What we did to hide the true facts is unbelievable. This not being able to forgive or coming to peace with pain led me finally to an addiction. Has your deep seated pain led to an addiction ? Sometimes exercise can be an escape or a healthy addiction ! There are many addictions that are not so healthy as eating, drinking, drugging, shopping and even sex. What pain are you trying to avoid when you think about your addiction.It was not until I started to practice forgiveness and come to peace with my pain that I was able to live an honest life. I can say today I am at peace with my pain. The peace within of pain of years gone by and sometimes the pain that comes with ending a volunteer job, a relationship, a friendship and even of death. Personally to live at this level of freedom which I now have, I have learned through time not to be afraid of my inner pain and disturbance. I am blessed and grateful.

How insidious food allergies can be at destroying health. How insidious addictions can be a destroying a life. Are they really different ? I think not !
I am often told by patients, " that after eating a bit of bread, my chronic stomach pains with bloating, gas and cramps escalated to the point of panic" During the visit, I often tell the patient, " Have you ever been not bloated? Do you know what it is like to have no cramps ?" I assure them that after avoiding the foods that they are sensitive to, and rotating all the others food they are not sensitive to--life will get better. Of course, it takes time, patience and diligence. It also is usually at that time that you say " I am sick and tired of being sick and tired"
I have seen food intolerance related to frequent infections, heart disease and infertility. It is gratifying to me to have a couple finally be able to have a child following simple dietary changes, balance their thyroid, rid the body of toxins and start Vitamin D.
How do you start on discovering your food allergies. Start by having a physician test your food allergies by taking a blood sample. Do no use skin testing for your type of food allergy. If your allergy results in a rash or redness, then you can use the skin testing as this is an immediate response. You need a IgG RAST test by Metametrix, Neuroscience or ALCAT.
Have you ever connected your level of fatigue or tiredness ? If not, you better start keeping a journal of your body symptoms with what you eat. Remember what Marian Nestle stated, " You are What you Eat " Before her there was Carlton Fredricks , Adelle Davis and of course, Robert Atkins. Now, there is me...spreading the word.

More...tomorrow...

2 comments: