Sunday, January 30, 2011

MONDAY JANUARY 31, 2011 WHAT PEOPLE THINK ABOUT......BITTER MELON















"What other people think of you is none of YOUR business."

I used to worry about what people thought of me. I came to realize that it is none of my business what they think of me. I don't care what anyone thinks of me or my life. I can say that with assurance, because I am secure in who I am, what I do and why I do it. Everyone will have an opinion. I have opinions. I do not always have to agree with someone else's opinion. Even if what a person thinks is good, it is still none of my business. I used to need the affirmation of others. It had to do with my own self esteem at that time in my life. It is the same with acceptance. I wanted people to accept me. How I got their acceptance was to make them happy! I organized parties and invited those I wanted to like me. I didn't realize till years later that those individuals only liked me for what I could give or buy them. Now I can say , "You really like me... you really like me," as Sally Field did when she accepted her Oscar for Norma Rae. The nicest part is I do not have to do that anymore.

It is amazing what my children remember from those years. My children and I often reflect about their childhood. Their perspective is definitely more clear than mine, even though I was sober. Both saw the people pleaser in me. That is the 'giver' in me. Today, both see a stronger, self confident, happy man. I could cry because I see it too.



New Studies on Memory:

Recent studies have now correlated low levels of zinc and iron with memory deficits. Children aged 9 -11 with low levels of iron and zinc deficiency displayed a significantly impaired degree of both verbal and non verbal memory. There was a significant improvement after supplementation of zinc and iron. Key point: Have your blood levels of zinc and iron checked!


Bitter Melon ( Momordica charantia ) was recently studied for its neuroprotective benefits. This herb is traditionally used for maintaining blood sugar levels. Other herbs that have similar blood sugar maintenance are fenugreek, rosemary and cinnamon. Mice studies were done comparing groups of mice pretreated with Bitter Melon with others that were NOT pretreated with Bitter Melon. Those mice that received Bitter Melon had reduced oxidative stress in the brain (thus better blood flow to the brain) and better performance compared to those mice that were not pretreated. More studies need to be done on Bitter Melon for memory. Traditionally Bitter Melon is used for treatment of viruses, malaria and worms. There are even some anti cancer properties.


Until tomorrow...


Top two photographs: Bitter Melon and Bitter Melon flowers

Third photograph: Pennsylvania Icicles by Paul Fratellone

Bottom photograph: Gregory, Me and Rick at Jacques Cabaret in Boston MA celebrating Gregory's 21st birthday.










No comments:

Post a Comment