Monday, January 31, 2011

TUESDAY FEBRUARY 1, 2011 EMOTIONAL HEARTACHE




"The greatest treasures are those invisible to the eye but found in the heart."

"Follow your heart, but be quiet for a while first. Ask questions, then feel the answer. Learn to trust your heart."

Your emotional and spiritual heart does have the answer. How many of us actually trust our emotional heart for the answers? If we have had our heart hurt in a situation it takes time to trust and start again. We all have been hurt in relationships. This is called heartache. I haven't met anyone who has not been hurt, damaged or scared. We all move on. We let go.

A few weeks after my Mom passed away and everyone had gone, when it was just the two of us, Dad took me into my bedroom and closed the door. He said, "Patrick, listen, I want to talk to you about something. It's almost time. You are going away to medical school in less than one month." I said, " Dad, I do not have to go. You have so much to do, and Nanny and Poppy need me." My father answered, " Don't worry about that. I'll make it work. I promise you. I will take care of Nanny and Poppy for your mother. She would want you to go if it was me who died. She will always be with you." And my dad became the greatest hero I will ever know in my life. My father was sixty one when my mother died. He lived alone for the next twenty five years. It took time for my heart to heal. I would listen to Jerry Herman's "Time Heals Everything" from the musical Mack and Mabel and cry.

My own heartache lessened over the years. Today, now that both parents and grandparents are no longer here, I recite this quote:

When love is lost, do not bow your head in sadness; instead keep your head up high and gaze into heaven, for that is where your broken heart has been sent to heal.

The American Heart Association designates February as Heart Month- or Heart Awareness Month. It is appropriate because Valentine's Day is on February 14th.

You can prevent heart disease with a dietary lifestyle and exercise change. I adhere to my seven lifestyle changes for protection against every disease. 1. Dietary 2) Exercise 3) Addictions 4) Meditation 5) Self -Esteem-Hobbies 6) Anger/ Resentment and 7) Self - Love


The emotional heart can be healed by attending to the 4th through 7th lifestyle changes- meditation, self esteem, eliminating anger/resentment and self love.
Your choices and actions can make a difference between healthy longevity and early death from heart disease. Some facts, NOT MYTHS you need to know are:

1. Thirty minutes of moderate exercise in several short stretches can decrease your risk of coronary artery (heart) disease.

2. The process of atherosclerosis (hardening of the arteries in older terminology) begins in childhood and is already present in most Americans by the time they are teenagers. Be careful of your children's diet.

3. Many people with the most aggressive cholesterol and other risk factors have a total cholesterol less than 200.

4. There are different kinds of cholesterol especially when you discuss particle size. Have your particles of bad (LDL) and Good (HDL) cholesterol checked.

5. Low fat diets actually raise cholesterol and increase risk in certain patients.

6. There is NO universal diet; it is dietary and lifestyle changes that matter.

7. Cholesterol is one of several risk factors. HS-CRP, Fibrinogen, Lipo@, and Homocysteine are important risk factors as well.

8. Certain vitamins/supplements have been studied for the treatment and risk reduction of heart disease. Omega 3 fish oils play a significant role in reduction of heart disease.

9. Low Vitamin D3 levels have been linked to heart disease.

10. Herbs can be prescribed safely to a heart patient by a certified health care practitioner.

Until tomorrow...

1 comment: