Friday, January 21, 2011

JANUARY 21, 2011 THE REPUTATION OF PERIWINKLE





" Reputation grows like a mushroom; character grows like an oak"

I was thinking how to discuss one's reputation and plants. I found the quote above which sums up the solid firm hard character as should an oak tree.
I can change the quote to 'reputation comes over one from without and character grows up from within.'
There is always a comparison between one's reputation and one's character. In my life I had a bad spell where my reputation was blackened or marked. This was before I decided to live my life by a twelve step program and a Higher Power. Benjamin Franklin stated that ' Glass, china and reputation are easily cracked and never well mended.' I do not know if that is completely true. I feel that any one's reputation may be repaired, but rest to sure that people keep an eye on where it was cracked. This was true with some of my colleagues at a rough time in my life. I might have done the same if I was on the other end. But after some amount of time, I feel people should stop looking at the place it cracked. With almost 17 years of continuous sobriety I have to the best of my ability changed. At this point I cannot worry or fret about what people think of me. I know who and what I am. Perhaps I do so much in my life to continually polish up my reputation. I feel we need to lend some slack to people who are trying to change their lives. I had an older Chief of Medicine once tell me and in writing that 'recovery never happens to someone with an addiction.' That is a harsh statement and I totally disagree. Many men would turn over a new leaf if they could tear out some of the old pages. I do not want to tear out the old pages. These old pages keep it green for me every day. I do not dwell on the old pages, but look upon them with a different view. Think about your own reputation. How did a crack in your reputation change your thoughts on life?

I want my reputation to have a little touch of periwinkle. Periwinkle is a magnificent color. It is also the common name for the Vinca plants. Derived from these plants are two chemotherapy drugs, vinblastine and vincristine. There is also another derivative that is never discussed--vinpocetine.

Vinpocetine, a vincamine derivative, is a synthetic ethyl ester of apovincamine. Vincamine is an extract of periwinkle (Vinca minor). Vinpocetine has been widely used and studied in Europe for over 25 years, but is not well known in the United States. Based on animal and clinical studies vinpocetine has been recommended as a treatment for stroke in Hungary, Poland, Germany, Russia, and Japan. However, a recently published meta-analysis does not support the assumption that vinpocetine can decrease the morbidity and mortality in acute stroke. Studies have shown that vinpocetine has the following pharmacological and biological actions: enhancement of brain circulation and oxygen utilization, increased brain tolerance of hypoxia (oxygen deficiency) and ischemia (blood deficiency), anticonvulsant activity, inhibitory effect on phosphodiesterase (an enzyme), improvement in blood flow and inhibition of platelet aggregation
Today there are many 'memory formulas' that add vinpocetine to their other ingredients. Some of the other ingredients are amino acids as acety L-carnitine and phosphatidyserine and phosphotidyl choline. Vinpocetine can be used as a single agent.
There are studies from 2000-2003 that researched the use of vinpocetine in cognitive function and memory impairment. The authors from these studies conclude that vinpocetine may slow the disease process and decrease its incidence if taken during the 'window of opportunity' between mild cognitive impairment and the development of senile dementia or Alzheimer's disease. This was concluded because all three studies suggest that during treatment with vinpocetine there was a significant improvement in cognitive function of patients suffering from dementia or other symptoms of cerebrovascular disease. The studies demonstrated safety and the absence of serious adverse events.
I have not seen recent studies on vinpocetne. I know more studies are needed, but since there is no harm or adverse effects I would not discourage its use.

When I think of reputation I often think of a poem my Aunt Bev sent me after my father died. It reads

You got it from your father,
It was all he had to give.
So it's yours to use and cherish,
For as long as you may live

If you lose the watch he gave you,
It can always be replaced.
But a black mark on your name , son
Can never be erased.

It was clean the day you took it,
And a worthy name to bear.
When he got it from his father
There was no dishonor there.

So make sure you guard it wisely,
After all is said and done.
You'll be glad the name is spotless
When you give it to your son.


One day it will make a lovely cross stitch or needle point.

Thanks, Dad
Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment