Sunday, January 2, 2011

JANUARY 2, 2011 LOVE AND LOTUS







The person who tries to live alone will not succeed as a human being. His heart withers if it does not answer another heart. His mind shrinks away if he hears only the echoes of his own thoughts and finds no other inspiration.
~ Pearl S. Buck

What greater thing is there for two human souls than to feel that they are joined... to strengthen each other... to be at one with each other in silent unspeakable memories.
~ George Eliot


Love Story, Love is a Many Splendid Thing, Love Actually, Love in the Afternoon,
Love Me Tender and Love Me, or Leave Me are just a few movies with the word "Love " in the title. There are many more songs with love in the title. Some are •Benny Goodman - Taking A Chance On Love (1943), •Bing Crosby - I Love You (1944),•Mills Brothers - You Always Hurt The One You Love (1944),•Perry Como - Prisoner Of Love (1946)Nat King Cole - (I Love You) For Sentimental Reasons (1947),•Mario Lanza - Be My Love (1951),•Doris Day - Secret Love (1954),•Jo Stafford - Make Love To Me! (1954)
•Four Aces - Love Is A Many Splendered Thing (1955),•Elvis Presley - Love Me Tender (1956),•Pat Boone - April Love (1957-1958),•Beatles - Love Me Do (1964),•Dixie Cups - Chapel of Love (1964), •Supremes - Baby Love (1964), and Lulu - To Sir with Love (1967) and countless more. I think there are more songs with the word 'Love' in the title than any other word.

What is love? A four letter word that is often used too many times in a three word phrase, ' I Love You' The quotes above describe what it is like when you have no one to love while the other talks about the joining of two souls in love. Both do make a lot of common sense. Which one do you relate to ? Sometimes there is a fear of intimacy and you are not able to love another soul. Yes, there is the unconditional love of a child, parental love when you are young , and the love of a pet. When does love change in our minds? Is it when we get deeply hurt and feel we cannot love anymore? I believe it is the expectations we put out there and the trust we put out there. We learn as we get older. I know I have. In the few times I have ended relationships I have thought " What I Did For Love" . Was it love or was is fascination or lust? I can answer these questions today. I can also 'let go' and have completed any amends that I needed to regardless if I had them returned. For years I waited for amends from individuals in my life. That was an expectation. I have no more expectations of people--I rather get surprised.
I do know with every muscle fiber of my heart what love is today sharing it with another person. It is not perfect. But I remember there is only progress not Perfection. Then I can smile at the blessing my Higher Power has bestowed on me.

Aphrodite is known as the Greek Goddess (Roman Venus) of love, desire, beauty, fertility, the sea, and vegetation. It is said that when Cronus was castrated by Uranus, and his part was thrown into the sea, Aphrodite was thus born and arose on a large shell, which was then carried to land, thus her name being translated "foam-risen". The sea nymphs dressed her and adorned her with flowers and gold.
Aphrodite held the Lotus Flower. For some reason I thought she held the Star flower, but I was wrong. The Lotus flower is regarded in many different cultures –— specially in eastern religions — as a symbol of purity, enlightenment, self-regeneration and rebirth. Its characteristics are a perfect analogy for the human condition: even when its roots are in the dirtiest waters, the Lotus produces the most beautiful flower. Most of the readings I have encountered about the Lotus flower involve folklore or ceremonial uses for the lotus. I have not found any research regarding the use of the flower, stems, leaves and roots, although there are traditional uses.
The traditional use of Lotus for treatment of diarrhea, fungal infections, fevers and skin conditions (such as leprosy and ringworm) are supported by Western scientific investigation. The latex sap found within the leaves, stems, and flowers has great anti-bacterial activity and has been used to treat sexually transmitted diseases such as gonorrhea and syphilis, as well as other bacterial infections. The astringent qualities of Lotus may be efficacious in treating hemorrhoids and dysentery. In folk medicine, the astringent qualities of the flowers make Lotus blossoms a frequent treatment for diarrhea and cholera. Western medical treatment using Lotus has been effective in certain kinds of diabetes and rheumatoid arthritis. Each part of the Lotus can be used as I have read. The roots and rhizomes were thought to treat smallpox and throat conditions. The leaves were thought to treat parasites and hemorrhoids. The petals were thought to treat diarrhea, liver conditions, snakebites and scorpion stings. The fruits and seeds were thought to treat inflamed mucous membranes and halitosis. It has been written that ingesting the seeds for seven days with rice water can increase the females chance for fertility.

Whatever the folklore discusses, I can be certain of one thing: The Lotus Flower is a beautiful flower. It was god gift blessing to see a Lotus Flower with Rick on the island of Mustique.

Until tomorrow...

1 comment:

  1. When I notice a client has halitosis/bad breath or complains of post nasal drip and tonsil stones despite having healthy teeth & gums, my advice is they visit the site of Oraltech Labs. I can report clients return visits have undetectable Halitosis/bad breath. So if all else fails try them. USA & UK. Association of Dental Health

    ReplyDelete