Tuesday, January 25, 2011

JANUARY 25, 2011 YOU ARE MY SONSHINE -HAPPY 21ST









A man's desire for a son is usually nothing but the wish to duplicate himself in order that such a remarkable pattern may not be lost to the world. ~Helen Rowland

A boy is a magical creature - you can lock him out of your workshop, but you can't lock him out of your heart. ~Allan Beck



On January 25, 1990, a boy was born who happen to weigh in at greater than 9 lbs. He was named Gregory Patrick Fratellone. The relationship of a son towards both of his parents can be very complex. I know there he has a close bond with his mother. In the last few years I have also found that close bond. Having a son was the second greatest joy I have ever experienced. The first was having a daughter. It is written that sons can be one of the greatest challenges. In this case, I disagree. I tried to balance the need to offer some freedom to Gregory especially when he started at Northeastern University in Boston.
As a father I want what is best for him and I want to see good in all that he does. I have not been disappointed many times.
As I sit so early and write this to my son on his 21st Birthday my heart is swelled with love and I am crying tears of joy. It is hard to believe that he is twenty one. He is legal for a glass of wine, but that happened long ago. I am so sorry both sets of grandparents are not physically here , but all reside in his heart and are with him every step of the way.
I know he knows who he really is inside, and I do not think he tosses the idea of "where he will be in a few years." He has direction. I know his answer comes from the heart. He is not much unlike me. As a boy he looked like me. During his teen years he had features of both mom and dad. Today, I still feel he looks like me.
I will always stand by your side in good times and bad times. Remember my shoulder is always here for you to lean on no matter how old you are. I am so overwhelmed at your achievements as well as your sister's. Life has not been easy. The 52 card deck was cut, shuffled and mixed up, but all in all things didn't turn out all that bad.
There are many memories I could share. Some are our private ones. One memory is that the most consistent thing you and I have done in your twenty one years is that both of us grew up with Harry Potter. Harry and Gregory will always hold a special place in my heart.

I want you to remember this--Always be true to yourself. I will always be there to guide you if you need my help. Always remember that life is what you make of it.

Son, you outgrew my lap, but never my heart. Happy 21st Birthday. Until we see each other may God hold you in the palms of his hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment