Monday, May 9, 2011

MAY 11, 2011 OMEGA FISH OILS







"Some people think that doctors and nurses can put scrambled eggs back into their shells."
- Dorothy Canfield Fisher


I laughed when I read this quote. First, who is Dorothy Canfield Fisher? Dorothy Canfield Fisher (February 17, 1879 – November 9, 1958) was an educational reformer, social activist, and best-selling American author in the early decades of the twentieth century. She was named by Eleanor Roosevelt as one of the ten most influential women in the United States.



Some people have the notion that their doctors can perform miracles. Doctors are not G.O.D. I have met some who think they are, and then I have met some who are as humble as a piece of Nancy's Virginian Apple Pie. Find the latter type of physician. If you are truly in touch with yourself, you know what your body needs. I pray that every patient I see will participate in their own healing and not passively expect the doctor to perform miracles. I am not Alec Baldwin as a physician in Malice slamming his fist on the table stating, "I am God." I am a human being with as many character defects as the next person. There is one exception --I have moved away from self-abuse into a world of "self-respect."

The doctor-patient relationship in my mind is a two way street. I might give the patient 60% in the form of tools for dietary and exercise lifestyle changes, addictions, self esteem and anger, but I expect at the beginning of the relationship that the patient will give 40 % in the form of attention and effort. With time I expect the patient to give more of himself/herself to the relationship. I will always be there for the patient.



No one will argue the power of the Omega- 3 fatty acids. They support heart and brain health better than any other supplement. Omega 3 fatty acids help with inflammation. The addition of sesame lignans and olive fruit extract provide extra safeguards against oxidation when added to fish oils and other fatty acids . I always like a patient to add olive oil to fish oil supplements to maximize the inflammatory benefits. I love olive oil not because I am Italian but because it contains three compounds. The three compounds are tyrosol, oleuropein and hydroxytyrosol. Together these three counter the action of free radicals, delay aging (who doesn't want to stop aging?) prevent LDL oxidation and lastly, maintain normal platelet activation.

Do you take a fish oil? What fish oil do you take? I prefer three different brands, Nordic Naturals ( http://www.nordicnaturals.com/), Life Extension Super Omega 3's (http://www.lifeextension.com/) and Nutritional Frontiers (http://www.longevitynutritionals.com/)


Of course the pharmaceutical companies have to invade and cash out on vitamins and supplements. So now there is a pharmaceutical prescription fish oil available. It is called Lovasa. The dose per one gel cap is 1000mg of EPA. I recommend 2 gel caps in the morning and 2 gel caps in the evening. The total dose is 4 grams ( 4,000 mg) per day. Not only is there a blood thinning effect, but fish oils help lower blood pressure. The benefits of fish oils are exponential in every sense of the word.




Did you take your fish oils today ?




Until tomorrow...

1 comment:

  1. Dear Dr. Fratellone,

    I've been reading your blog and I love it. I'm so glad that I had the opportunity to meet you a few days ago. I'm very confident that my treatment will work!

    Danielle Newman

    ReplyDelete