Sunday, May 22, 2011

MAY 24, 2011 WHAT IS BERGAMOT ?







"SURROUND YOURSELF WITH ONLY PEOPLE WHO ARE GOING TO LIFT YOU HIGHER"

---Oprah Winfrey



It sounds so logical so why don't most of us do just that? I am one of those people although in the last eight years I did a lot of gardening....no weeding. Gardening is for new things to grow while weeding is eliminate the bad growth within the good growth. When I first got sober almost seventeen years ago, I was told to hang out with the winners. I must have listened because I am still here. I cannot be with those individuals who have negative vibes or bad karma. I do not like character assassination (gossip) but I sometimes partake. I am human. I am NOT perfect. There is no perfection only progress. I am going to meditate (NOT MEDICATE ) to remove or lift that character defect from my personality. When a weekend environment is full of drama and gossip, it is difficult to remove myself. I am aware, acknowledge and now must accept this new task I have placed upon myself.



I have not seen Bergamont, also known as Bee Balm (Monarda fistulosa, M. didyma) in the New York Region. I didn't even see it when studying in Ithaca. I remember seeing Bergamont in Virginia, North Carolina and West Virginia. I never have seen it in the desert regions of Arizona or Nevada. I have seen it along roadsides. I decided to write about Bee Balm today because I planted it the front garden of Pride House in Cherry Grove, New York.


The young leaves can be eaten raw. The flowers of M fistulosa have an oregano like taste. I want to use the flowers in a garden salad and in sun tea.


I have read that the dry leaves can be used in a meat marinade. I have seen the flowers used as a garnish. Of course I would use the flowers and leave in cold sun tea. I will add spearmint or peppermint from the garden. I love fresh brewed sun tea with true garden flavors.

I wouldn't pick it along roadsides because of the exhaust from automobiles, trucks and vans.

The medicinal use of Bee Balm is as a hot tea for colds and flu. It also great for headaches. It is a great prevention for mucous production and soothes bronchial complaints. The tea can be rubbed over skin eruptions.

Historically, the native Americans drank the tea to relieve arthritic pain.

Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment