Wednesday, May 11, 2011

MAY 13, 2011 CERAMICS AS A PASTIME












"To have weakness is not to be flawed - it is to be complete."



Everyone has weaknesses. I used to consider a weakness to be a character flaw or character defect in my personality. I know today that I wouldn't be me without my weaknesses. I welcome my weaknesses, because I know with these weaknesses I am a complete person. I am human. I can accept my weaknesses. I welcome individuals to challenge me on my weaknesses because in the end that will make me a better individual. I used to shun weaknesses, because I thought it would be a sign of defeat. In actuality it is empowering to know I have weaknesses.


Do you have a weakness? Have you tried to work on your weaknesses?


One of the nation’s favorite pastimes, ceramics offers a bit excitement and practical uses.
In the cold, concise language of Webster's Dictionary, clay is "an earthy substance used in making pottery, bricks, etc."





So it is with clay.It can be shaped, colored and fired into myriad marvels of esthetic and utilitarian beauty. It has "life" and is capable of playing strange tricks under the influence of fire. Colors, too, are often capricious. Even under the strictest control colors may result which are, to say the least, unexpected.



I have NOT taken a ceramic class, but want to one day. One Christmas, Rick's parents gave him pottery (ceramic) classes . It was at Mud, Sweat and Tears in midtown west. (www.mudsweat-tears.com ) He thoroughly enjoyed the classes. He said every time he opened the kiln, it was like Christmas because you can never be certain about exactly what you'll get. What he thought would be a perfectly round bowl once was oval instead.



When you have started to work with ceramics, you will find that the more you know, the more there is to learn about this fascinating creative art. As with any worth­while accomplishment, you will not become an expert potter merely by reading a book.


I do not think ceramics can be taught in a book. It must be in a classroom setting with an instructor and other students. It is also a way not to isolate.

Most educators agree that lessons learned by trial and error are lessons best remembered. With ceramics, moreover, all mis­takes are not so bad. On the contrary, many of a potter's errors result in his most attractive and original works. Usually these are the pieces which can never be duplicated. Rick said the instructor always said, "...let's see what happens." I love that phrase.


For example, you could glaze a tray and toss on a few pieces of copper, just to "see what happens." After firing it, you may find the copper completely burned away, leaving an unusual splotch of green from the copper oxide.On the other hand, the copper might scale over the glaze and ruin the tray.You won't know until you remove it from the kiln—and the suspense, as any ceramics enthusiast knows, can be unbearable.


Even the making of a simple pot or bowl, which is not beyond the ken of anyone, is a soul-satisfying experience. This will definitely increase your self esteem which is the reason why I recommend hobbies to a patient. You stick to a hobby with definite time restrictions twice a week. You start to look forward to the day you have hobby time. You need to restrict your time, as from my experience, even a good hobby can be addictive.



There are the obvious ceramic projects, such as teapots, vases, banks and dishes which usually represent a point of departure for most beginners. I saw great pottery pieces at the annual Cherry Grove Arts and Crafts sale. I have exhibited and sold my hand-made cards, needle point an cross stitch pillows, stitched book marks as well as Rick's framed photography.




Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment