Monday, May 23, 2011

MAY 27, 2011 DOCENTING AS A HOBBY











"NO PERSON WAS EVER HONORED FOR WHAT HE RECEIVED. HONOR IS GIVEN BY WHAT HE GAVE." --Calvin Coolidge



"YOU MAKE A LIVING BY WHAT YOU GET, BUT YOU MAKE A LIFE BY WHAT YOU GIVE" --Winston Churchill



Some unknown person said this, "You have not lived until you have done something for someone who can never repay you." I love this quote. And I am blessed to say that I have thus lived! I have done things for individuals who can never repay me. I do not want to be repaid. I no longer expect anything in return. I give to charities with no expectations. I have done five years as a volunteer physician. I did it for the community, NOT for my resume. I wanted to help the young and old, especially the young who have gotten older in this community. My heart is full. At the completion of my five years of service, I have a smile on my face.



Docent is a title at some European universities to denote a specific academic appointment within a set structure of academic ranks. The hobby personality of a docent is an extroverted, history loving and social person. Most of the time a docent job doesn't pay well if at all. Most of the time it is a volunteer position. A Docent gives instructional guided tours of places of interest, such as museums. It can be a hobby for those who are retired or have free time.

I have a patient who recently retired. He is gearing up his docenting job. He gives walking tours of the West Village and a Jewish Museum in NYC. He is so proud of his position. It is his labor of love. He gets paid minimal wage, but he loves what he does.

Depending on the institution , there's likely to be some sort of training session that can last days or weeks or even months. You will have to learn how tours are conducted. You have to study the history . You never know what kinds of questions visitors will ask. Some museums have scripts to follow.

I thought about docenting when I retire, but I haven't figured out where I would do this labor of love. At this point I would consider the New York Botanical Garden, but I have a long way till I get fluent in the Botanical World. My Botanical Latin studies and RH certification have certainly taught put me well on my way. I must take another tour in the NYBG.

I have a few suggestions from my patient docent:

1. You should a real genuine interest in the subject or field.

2. Do the suggested readings and independent research.

3. Remember, "Anything Worth Learning is Self-Taught."

4. You should agree with the institution's purpose or mission.

5. Find out the time commitment you need to make as a docent at the institution.

6. Be honest when you do not know the answer

7. Smile, and do not take offense if the people look bored.

8. Remember the smaller the people (the children) are more visually interested.

9. Keep abreast of new exhibits

10. Most of all, Be Happy



Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment