Monday, May 16, 2011

MAY 19, 2011 WHAT IS A JACARANDA ?
















"IF YOU CAN'T FIGHT AND YOU CAN'T FLEE, FLOW " - Robert Eliot

I never liked physical fighting, but also did not want to flee. I didn't want to be a coward. Throughout my middle and high school years I was taunted and ridiculed because of "nerdiness". That "nerdiness" then as well as today was because I was different. I was gay. I went with the flow. I did the homework for those who asked, did errands for those who asked, and kept my test papers uncovered for those who asked. I wasn't asked, I was told to comply with the previous in order to not get assaulted. I went with the flow. I look upon those days not with anger nor resentment nor sadness. It was what it was.


Today, young gay teenagers are more accepted than when I was a teenager. Sure, there is some taunting, but not nearly as bad. Today students have support from teachers, guidance counselors and local LGBT clubs. I was alone. I didn't go to my high school prom. I really wanted to go but I didn't want to sit down all night with no chance of dancing. I wish I had the courage the character Kurt does on Glee --to go with who I really wanted to go with. I am glad times have changed.



What the bleep is a jacaranda? In West Hollywood, California recently, several streets were lined with flowering Jacarandas. This flowering plant has 49 species and belongs to the Family Bignoniaceae. I have never seen Jacaranda in other states. These trees are native to tropical and subtropical regions in South America, Central America, Mexico and Caribbean. In California when you see the blooming trees it is a sign of spring. So since I did not know anything about these trees I decided to do some research.


The flowers on this tree are conspicuous large panicles. Each flower has five-lobed blue to purple blue corolla. I hear there are also some species with white flowers.


There is even a city named The Jacaranda City-- it is in South Africa. The city is Pretoria. There are an enormous amount of Jacarandas lining the streets and in parks and gardens. It can be seen by plane or in the distant hills as blue/purple colors. It must be radiant.When the trees are in bloom it is a not only a sign of spring, but also a sign of year end exams in the University. It is said that if a Jacaranda blossom falls are your head you will pass all your examinations.


In Southern California these trees were imported by horticulturalist, Kate Sessions



Until tomorrow...

Photo Credit: Me

No comments:

Post a Comment