Monday, May 16, 2011

MAY 20, 2011 DON'T LET YOUR SHIP SAIL AWAY

















"A friend can weather most things and thrive in thin soil; but it needs a little mulch of letters and phone calls and small, silly presents every so often --just to save it from drying out completely."

--Pam Brown


Friends should not be taken for granted. Friends are so important in your life. You can never have too many friends, but you must be selective of the friends you have. I would rather have 3 close friends than 10 'acquaintance' friends. I know many people in my life, but I can only count on 5 people and that is including my life-partner. I am not sad or disturbed by this. I am relieved that I have one hand covered. Friends need to be nurtured as I nurture my plants, herbs, flowers and bees. A little card, or gift, or a call goes further than you might think. So, water your friends with a card, or small gift. The friendship will grow and grow. It will be rewarding experience in your life.


For the artistic, crafty, history loving and dexterous person, here is a new hobby to consider. As a young boy I was fascinated with ships. I do not know if it was because my father was in the Navy during WW II abroad an air craft carrier or the fact I just liked history. I love fishing with my dad, my brother, and dad's friend Marion on a row boat. My Uncle Sonny had given my brother and I a battleship with movable parts. It was called Mighty Matilda by REMCO. She was a great ship to play with and enthralled me for hours.

The hobby is building model ships to stand alone or to put in a bottle.

Model ships are miniature versions of life-sized vessels, either of modern or historic design. The one ship that has fascinated me and countless others is the R.M.S. Titanic. Recently last year I bought a model of the Titanic from the New York Times Store. She was one of a kind with a fantastic history. Next year will the hundred year anniversary of that dreadful sinking.

Traditionally the ship model kits were of wood, but today many are of plastic. These ships come in a variety of sizes and designs. Some are single masted, two-masted sails and even three masted sails. You can choose from battleships, historic navigation ships, and even merchant ships. This can be a cheap or expensive hobby. It is up to you.


On line today I was looking for an inexpensive ship kit to build.

Did you ever wonder as a child how the ship fit into the bottle ? I certainly did.


There's no better way than to learn to build one for yourself. I started to look on line and there are many ships on the market. You may want to build the Mayflower or the USS Constitution.


Find one that suits you. I certainly will.







Until tomorrow...

1 comment:

  1. FRIENDS should NOT BE TAKEN FOR GRANTED --SORRY IT IS A TYPO- MY EDITOR IS AWAY

    ReplyDelete