Sunday, May 15, 2011

MAY 17, 2011 ZINC AND SELENIUM






"When it comes to spotting faults in others, too many people seem to have twenty-twenty vision."



How funny is this. We all look for faults in others. Have you ever looked at your own faults ? I have them, and you have them. Most of us can always see other's faults, but fail to notice our own faults. This is why I like criticism. It allows me to see my faults through the eyes of someone else. I have trouble seeing my faults. One of them correctly pointed out is interrupting another when he/she is speaking. This especially happens with my partner, Rick. He will usually start the story and then I interrupt and pick up where he supposedly left off, with my perception and understanding. Wow! I have to catch myself every time. I am not perfect. Remember there is NO PERFECTION, only PROGRESS.



The trace elements are so important. There are many trace elements. The two that I find critically important are zinc (Zn) and Selenium (Se). Both are especially important for the nervous system and immune function. I consider both important for a healthy prostate.



Looking back to Chemistry and Biochemistry, these two trace elements are co factors for a multitude of enzyme reactions.

Low levels of selenium are associated with brain tumors. Low levels of zinc are associated with Alzheimer's Disease.

I always check Copper (Cu) in someone who is zinc deficient as copper tends to increase.


Do herbs contain these trace minerals? Of course they do.

Milk thistle, nettle, chickweed and dandelion contain both zinc and selenium.

Barberry contains both selenium and zinc. Barberry is found throughout Fire Island, especially the Sunken Forest.


Until tomorrow...

No comments:

Post a Comment