Monday, February 13, 2012

FEBRUARY 13, 2012 THE GUT AND THE HEART





































"True spiritual growth and deep personal transformation is coming to peace with pain."



No one likes to change. It causes fear which can be related in the body as pain. No expansion or evolution can take place without change. Let's face it-- periods of change are not always comfortable. I have faced my disturbances, and I have come to realize there is a layer of pain deep in the core of my heart. I spent the first 30 years avoiding that deep seated pain. In the last 17 1/2 years I have learned and I am still learning to change. Your entire personality is built upon your ways of thinking, acting, and believing. These were developed to avoid the pain.


Today since I think, act and believe differently I have come to terms with much of my inner core pain. Do you have inner pain that is deep seated? Of course you do. We all do! When you finally deal with the pain at its deepest level, this is where real growth takes place. Since the pain is at the core of the heart, it radiates outwards and affects everything you do. It come out as physical pain but in actuality it is the emotional pain deep seated and hidden by our thoughts and emotions. This is the pain I have come to terms with and continue to work through it on a daily basis.


The above can be summed up by this quote :


"The intellect is powerless to express thought without the aid of the of the heart." - Henry David Thoreau



As a cardiologist I am concerned with diseases of the heart. I want to prevent the occurrence of the #1 cause of death in the United States. I am also concerned with the emotional heart. The heart is a muscle. The heart is also an extremely sensitive sensory organ whose domain is that of feeling. All emotions affect the heart. The basic emotions like sadness and happiness form other complex emotional states such as jealousy, love and anger .


The heart has its own electrical circuits. These natural oscillators respond to stimuli. The three most important biological oscillators are the heart, gastrointestinal tract and the brain. I always discuss the "gut". The gut is the small intestines. There is a major connection between the "gut" and the brain and the"gut" and the heart. In order to have a healthy body you must have a clean colon. I am NOT talking about the large intestines, but in reality the small intestines- The functions of the small intestines are:


1. absorption


2. make Vitamin D3


3. make 90% of the "happy" neurotransmitter called serotonin


More tomorrow...


Photograph: #1 A large gluten free , dairy free, sugar free and soy free cupcake with 50 smaller cupcakes. Made by http://www.jennifersway.org/ for our wedding February 11, 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment